Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ip address

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sharpie

sharpie

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:48 PM

does your ip address change when you move around to different wireless networks?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:44 PM

If you are talking about your PCs IP and it is not set with a static IP, which it probably is`t. Then, yes, it may change and probably does.

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:44 PM

You can check for yourself. Depending on the operating system. You can bring up a command window. At the flashing prompt type ipconfig /all and hit enter.

Edited by ThunderZ, 31 January 2011 - 10:47 PM.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:47 PM

While a bit off topic. I will reply here. No, IP changing software does not work. They can not work due to the way IP`s and the Internet works.

If you wish to change the IP which the Internet see`s you as then look into proxy servers.

#5 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:51 PM

im using a laptop with win 7, i was just wondering if i go to a friends house or a place like starbucks if my ip address will change.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:17 PM

If you are talking about your PCs IP and it is not set with a static IP, which it probably is`t. Then, yes, it may change and probably does.

You can check for yourself. Depending on the operating system. You can bring up a command window. At the flashing prompt type ipconfig /all and hit enter.

I think in Win7 to bring up a cmd window you will go to search > type in cmd. Then select it from the list that will appear. Follow the bolded text in the second quote.

Edited by ThunderZ, 01 February 2011 - 09:19 PM.

#7 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:17 PM

Although ThunderZ is 100% correct on every point made so far, I'd just like to expand on it.

The IP address your PC gets locally has nothing to do with the outside and doesn't matter for the average user. It may or may not change when you connect to other routers. Like I said, it's local only and does not matter to the internet.

The public IP address is assigned to the router. Every device connected to that router will share the "outside" IP. So your external/public IP will almost always change when connecting to other WiFi networks.

As far as programs to change your IP. They're useless. As far as changing your internal IP, it's as simple as editing the settings. Most consumer ISPs have dynamic IPs assigned to their customers. This means that as time goes on you will get a different public IP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users