Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am I infected? Mouse and keyboard don't work.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 joannelj

joannelj

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:45 PM

My boss's computer suddenly had the cursor move to the middle of the screen and freeze. The keyboard is also not working. They are USB. There is no PS2 port on the computer. I've switched to a different keyboard and mouse, and have tried all the USB ports with no luck. They work when I am in the BIOS settings, or if I use a boot disc. But in windows XP, and safe mode, they do not work.

I ran the free AVG boot disc virus scan on it, and it did not find anything. I also tried running some of the programs from Hiren's boot disc, but only a few worked - most give errors.

I'm at a loss on how to approach this, since of course, when it boots normally, I can't do anything without a mouse and keyboard.

I don't know if it's a virus, but I don't believe it's a hardware problem.

Help!
JoAnne

PS: the computer is not frozen. XP loads, and the email program opens and downloads email. It's just the USB ports or mouse and keyboard that don't work.

Edited by joannelj, 31 January 2011 - 05:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al Wirick

Al Wirick

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:27 AM

I am looking for something similar I have 7 computers that have suddenly presented similar issues but only the mouse is affected and then not always only after a little while of running.

All machines are running XP units are HP, Gateway, and Lenovo possibility it is an intel driver?

#3 joannelj

joannelj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:08 PM

Yay!! I've fixed it. I suspect that a USB driver was infected, and then one of the scans deleted it, but I don't know this for sure. Anyway, from my (good) computer I copied these USB drivers onto a flash drive.
(c:\WINDOWS\system32)
Hccoin.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers)
Usbehci.sys
Usbhub.sys
Usbport.sys
Then I booted with Hiren's cd - mini windows XP, and copied the files to the appropriate locations on the messed up computer. On three of them, it asked if I wanted to overwrite (I did.) but on one of them, the file wasn't there (that's why I suspect a virus scan deleted it.) Once that file was put back where it belonged, I rebooted, waited while it found new hardware, and voila!

Hope this might help someone else, someday.

:)
joanne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users