Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need a workstation and your advice

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 crazyfish123

crazyfish123

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:52 PM

Hi everyone, I'm getting my first workstation and I need your advice.

My budget for the new computer is: $2500

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?

It'll be my workstation. I work from home doing drafting with Autocad. Of course,I will be on the internet most of the time checking emails, downloading files related to my work, and browsing

What software do you intend on using on the computer?

Mainly Autocad and other drafting software

Do you play games? If so, what type of games?

NO

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?

I plan to keep several programs open at the same time, so I will have many windows open.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?

I do but I have a couple of external hard drives for backup and archiving purposes where I will be storing pixs and music.

Thanks for all your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:43 PM

http://usa.autodesk.com/autocad/system-requirements/

Looking at the requirements...any system made in the past 5 years or so...would do and would not come near your stated limit.

Dual-core systems (which are near the bottom of the market) debuted in 2005 or so and plenty of those are dirt cheap now.

Not to speak of any newer systems :).

4GB of RAM (which is pretty standard now and inexpensive), large hard drive (stndard and inexpensive)...whatever you select should do the job easily, IMO.

Louis

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:11 PM

If you are looking for a processor that has plenty of power thenthis one.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:25 PM

I would go quad core probably sandy bridge based 3Ghz or better. Use win7 64 bit. CAD files and other drafting files tend to be quite large so i would get a motherboard that would support at least 16 GB of system memory and i would start out with at least 8 GB and you can always upgrade later if needed. Video card is an Nvidia Quattro hands down they are expensive but well worth it for CAD. For a drive i would use a 1 TB WD enterprise level sata drive. The monitor if you dont already have one could break your budget depending on if you need a reference model or a standard. Multiple monitors seem to work best for drafting/ cad so either two decent sided ones or one monster 30" LCD would be my choice. I will draw up a more exact list of parts if you desire just let me know!
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 12 March 2011 - 05:49 PM

15000rpm hard drive :crazy:

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users