Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yup! Here again a New NUBIE!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nubie53

nubie53

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:33 PM

Another NUBIE! Hi! I'm 53! New to this all and not even sure I know how to post yet. So here goes! If successful, then at least I know this part..so far!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nubie53

nubie53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:37 PM

[size="4"][/size]

Edited by nubie53, 31 January 2011 - 11:32 PM.

#3 nubie53

nubie53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:39 PM

Okayyyy! I will now test' reply!'
Guess I am replying to my own 'blog! But if this is what it takes to learn, im all for it!
Again, anyone with a quick, very quick orientation tutoral can jump right on in! School the nubie!

#4 pachm

pachm

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:27 PM

Hi and welcome i`m fairly new to this forum aswell but they are all close. if you have a problem you can look at the different topics such as hardware, software, desktops ect. if you post a new topic it is called a thread. You can also reply to other threads with answers or questions. You can also PM private message members you get to know in here I have been involved is many forums over the years and can honestly say this one is in the top 3 i have used so im sure others will leave you a comment as well. meanwhile welcome and enjoy its a great place to learn and share information.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:18 PM

Hello and :welcome: to Bleeping Computer.

Be sure to check out the New User Orientation and the excellent Tutorials.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 nubie53

nubie53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:53 PM

Hello Budapest!
Mann! Thank you so much leading a welcome and where to go for more info to me. The reception so far has been so warming from everyone thus far.
I must say I personally am not a real preponderant of Bernard Shaw but found the piece your (quotation) made very interesting choice. So interesting, it became open toward a like kind rebuttal:
The word Cynic may have been derived from Kyon [which means 'dog' in Greek] and applied to the members of this school of same name in history because of their unconventional mode of life.
The Cynics contended that civilization, with its attendant ills, was an artificial, unnatural condition and that it should be held in contempt!! Hmmmm, I don't know bout you
but 'civilization' progress, refinement, and development etc., sure sounds better than to me (my personal opinion of course) than poverty and being underdeveloped. Ask anyone
of those 'Haitians or any other hard hit, devastated or underdeveloped regions as example; whether they'd like to switch in your position or lifestyle. Just a thought!
But surely i loved your quotation and equally love the triggering of the think tank stimuli quotations make! Especially of quotation subject matter! Bravo!
BUT!? What would you do? Trade w/lifestyle of underdeveloped or stay where you are?

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:52 PM

Now my knowledge of ancient Greek philosophy doesn't amount to much; however I believe that it was Antisthenes (a pupil of Socrates) who founded the movement.

However, I am using the term for a different meaning; something along the lines of: "Believing or showing the belief that people are motivated chiefly by base or selfish concerns."
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users