Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB 3.0 Capability?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jimlau

jimlau

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:28 PM

i have a 3-4 year old computer, with the following motherboard: Intel (Mickelson Trail) Q965.

how can i find out if this is usb 3.0 compatible? i bought a 2 Port USB 3.0 PCIe Controller Card, but when i use my usb 3.0 passport external hard drive, the speed is the same as usb 2.0.

thanks.

Edited by jimlau, 31 January 2011 - 03:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:51 PM

This will get the specs of your computer.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 jimlau

jimlau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:52 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Y9jKY7uw39Ye65iUAnuQc7T

btw, i am using a usb 3 cable.

thanks.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:27 PM

the speed is the same as usb 2.0.

Which "speed" are you referring to? If you're meaning the data transfer rate, ie how long it takes to copy a file to or from the drive, it's likely the drive in the enclosure has a sustained data throughput less than the level USB2 can already handle (theoretically around 60MB/s, although that doesn't happen IRL). Especially when writing to the drive, which is always slower than reading.

If it's this "performance" aspect, then unless the device was being held back by USB2, there's nothing to go faster over USB3.

Edited by Platypus, 31 January 2011 - 08:28 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 jimlau

jimlau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:24 PM

by speed i meant how long it takes to read data. the results were: usb 2.0 (26 Mb/s), usb 3.0 (34 Mb/s).

when i used the program HD Tach, it gave these results for a sequential read test: usb 2.0 (32 Mb/s average, 36 Mb/s peak), and usb 3.0 (78 Mb/s average, 113 Mb/s peak).

it seems the test results with HD Track show more than a double increase in speed, but with my informal timing of transfering data showed much less improvement.

so in real life, it looks like the increase is negligible?

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,471 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:45 AM

A 30% increase sounds reasonable to me, for a device that isn't stressing the bandwidth of USB2 to begin with. HD Tach will naturally report a higher potential performance increase from benchmarking just the drive itself, as this removes the rest of the process of writing the copy onto your computer, which takes the same write time whichever interface you use for the external drive.

So HD Tach measures how fast data can be read from the drive straight into memory, but when you're timing the copy process, it's also including the time taken in writing the copied file.

The 32MB/s gets slowed to 26MB/s by the writing delays, which the potential 78MB/s USB3 can't improve by the same amount, but there'll be reduced latency which brings to overall transfer rate up to the 34MB/s.

The base 32MB/s rate might be a bit low to begin with - what size and spec (model) Passport is it?

#7 jimlau

jimlau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:32 AM

i have the following: Passport Essential SE WDBACX7500ABK 750 GB. i have a dual core 2.8 GHz CPU and 4G RAM. i assume the writing speed is based on those parameters, plus maybe related bus speeds?

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,471 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:18 AM

The USB2 benchmarks you get do seem a bit lower than those I found in a review of a 1TB Passport, although a larger drive can have higher performance.

I guess the simplest way to check if your computer is the limiting factor is to see how the drive benchmarks on another computer.

Edited by Platypus, 02 February 2011 - 03:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users