Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Freezes on Startup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 weinerb

weinerb

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:34 PM

Hello,

I have XP Pro SP3, and a Nvidia GeForce 9500GT graphics card. When I install the software and reboot, XP freezes at the Windows logo screen. I have several cleaners, and have tried to be sure all previous video drivers are deleted before installing again. System boots into Safe Mode fine. The drivers indicate properly installed in Add/Remove Programs. My feeling is a Bios Update may help.. I am computer literate, but feeling stupid right about now.

Thanks,
Barry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:58 PM

<<When I install the software and reboot...>>

i take it you are installing the drivers? What is the source of the drivers? You sure you have the XP drivers?

<<The drivers indicate properly installed in Add/Remove Programs.>>

The proper vehicle for determining (somewhat) the status of device drivers...is Device Manager, not Add/Remove Programs.

Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

If you see any yellow or red markings...something needs attention.

Did you disable the onboard video in the BIOS, if applicable...before trying to install the new card?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_9500gt_us.html

If I'm interpreting correctly...that card requires DirectX 10, while XP only supports 9c, according to Microsoft. DirectX 10 (per MS) begins with Vista.

What motherboard are you attempting this install on?

Louis

#3 weinerb

weinerb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:53 AM

Thanks for the responses Louis..
I had to reinstall Windows after a crash. Prior to the crash this card installed fine and worked fine with Directx 9c for a long time. I have a yellow question mark by the display adapter, which is where I have tried to install the driver. Looked in the Bios for the onboard video but couldn't find where to turn it off. Bios also needs to be upgraded which I am working on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users