Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Saving a full thread to my Desktop for later reference?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 judyjht

judyjht

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:55 AM

I want to save an entire thread (19 pages)to my desktop for possible future use. How do I do that. I use Window XP Professional, Word etc. I clicked Download and it downloaded the webpage to the desktop but is there a better way? Eventually, it might be deleted etc from the Bleeping webpage - no?? Thanks for the help.

Edited by Judith Peacock, 31 January 2011 - 02:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:10 PM

Eventually, it might be deleted etc from the Bleeping webpage - no??

The long term existence of any web site or page is not guaranteed, but there is no reason that your topic would be removed from BC at any time in the near future.

Saving each page individually is the only way I know how to save a topic/thread to your own computer. However, there is the capability to easily reduce the number of pages from 19 down to 7 pages.

I have just checked this out myself: By default, you will be using the forum default setting for the number of posts on each page, which in this case is 15. You can change this to a maximum of 40 posts per page. By doing this, the topic will occupy just 7 pages.

Locate the small downward pointing triangle/arrow to the right-side of your username at the top of each page: Click on it and then choose My Settings, which will then display the "Your Options" page. Next to the Settings tab, click on the Forums tab. Under "Number of posts to show for each topic page:" change this from Use forum default to 40. Click on Save changes.

Now open your topic and it will occupy just 7 pages. Save each of these pages to a single folder on your computer.

Reverse the change that you made to your settings, if you wish.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 judyjht

judyjht
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:27 PM

Perfect, just what I needed - just in case! :-)

One question - how do I know if my laptop is running hot - seems it to me and the fan kicks up a notch and gets a bit louder at times. Should I post this somewhere else or is this OK??

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:47 PM

how do I know if my laptop is running hot - seems it to me and the fan kicks up a notch and gets a bit louder at times. Should I post this somewhere else or is this OK??

Your question on the laptop would be best placed in the Internal Hardware forum area. When you do that, include make and model, how old it is and when you last cleaned the insides of fluff and dust and confirmed the fan(s) working properly (which I guess it is if there is only one fan, since you can hear it running). Also report on what sort of surface the laptop is being used .... in relation to ensuring adequate ventilation for cooling, underneath and at the sides. If you have been monitoring your CPU and internal temperatures, then include that information.

If you wish to do so, let me know when you have posted and I will keep an eye on it.

Good luck.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#5 judyjht

judyjht
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:10 PM

I will post in a couple of minutes. Might as well check on this. Thanks. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users