Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed Sound Card, Now Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mama4cats

mama4cats

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 14 December 2005 - 03:31 AM

After I put in the card and hit the power, the correct sound sequence started, then my surge protector tripped.

Well, now the fan runs, and that's all.

So do I call 9-1-1, (in this case, bleeping computer) or the undertaker?

Any assistance and/or condolences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

AMD A10-7700K, MSI A68HM, 2 x 8GB Avexir DDR3 2133, 240GB SSD x 2 & 1TB SATAIII x 4, McAfee, Windows 10 Pro, Office 2016.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 14 December 2005 - 07:13 AM

Surge protector where? On the mains power board? Doesn't sound good. :thumbsup:

First step - take out the sound card. Does it make any difference? If not I think your power supply has gone. You will need to get a new one and replace it. If you need to do this make sure it suits your model of E-machine (some computers use proprietary power supplies).

:flowers:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 mama4cats

mama4cats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2005 - 03:54 PM

Thank you for replying.

The surge protector was between my computer and the wall outlet.

As you suggested, I took the board out and put things back as they were. Still nothing happens except the fan comes on, none of the usual booting noises. The monitor displays "no signal" on the screen and no lights on the keyboard.

You asked if the surge protector was on the main board, I was unaware one might be located there. I reviewed the board's manual and schematics looking for that or a fuse reset and did not see one or did not recognize it if it is there.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you for your help and guidance.

AMD A10-7700K, MSI A68HM, 2 x 8GB Avexir DDR3 2133, 240GB SSD x 2 & 1TB SATAIII x 4, McAfee, Windows 10 Pro, Office 2016.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 14 December 2005 - 07:23 PM

mains power board = what we call the thingy which tuns your wall outlet into 4 (or more) outlets.
I don't believe you will find any kind of surge protection or fuse on your mainboard (motherboard).

To pop the surge protector indicates a serious problem with your PC (unless you were running other power hungry electrical devices from the same "board"?) AS I said before I think your computer power supply (PSU) has blown.
(DO NOT ATTEMPT TO OPEN THE COMPUTER POWER SUPPLY - THERE ARE DANGEROUS VOLTAGES PRESENT!)
Computer power supplies are supposed to be able to cope with temporary shorts on the motherboard without damaging anything - you could try this:
  • Remove all the plug-in cards except the video card.
  • Unplug all the drive cables including the power to the hard drive the floppy drive and the CD/DVD drives.
  • Remove any additional sticks of memory (leave one plugged in).
  • Power up.
Does anything appear on the screen? Are there any beeps? If you do get something appearing on the screen then there may be a short in one of the components you removed/unplugged. Connect them one at a time until you find the one which prevents the computer from powering up. Then look to replace that device.

Is there another PC available you could borrow some bits from? If possible swap out the video card after you have removed the items from the list above. With your PC in its minimalised state swap the power supply from the other PC.

You could also remove your PSU and take it in to a computer shop and ask them to test it. They should be able to give you an answer almost immediately for little cost.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 mama4cats

mama4cats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2005 - 08:19 PM

Thanks again for the directions and advice.

I will try your suggestions, and if that doesn't work I will take it in to see if it needs to be replaced.

Best regards

#6 mama4cats

mama4cats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2005 - 03:52 PM

According to the shop, the PSU is OK. They said the motherboard could be fried.

In your opinion, is this the most likely problem?

If so, does it make sense to replace the motherboard on a computer such as this?

If not, can I salvage some of the items in this computer for use on another or are they only compatible with this brand?

Thanks for any and all advice as I am a "sub-novice" when it comes to hardware.

Ugh!

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 16 December 2005 - 04:57 PM

Give use the specs onyour current computer.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 mama4cats

mama4cats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2005 - 06:16 PM

eMachines T2865, 2.1 Ghz AMD Athlon XP 512 Mb, first computer AU 31 PCB1.x, NVIDIA GeForceMX

Thank you.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2005 - 07:07 PM

You can use the RAM, Hard drive, proccessor, and the video card if the video is not built in. The replacement board is only available thru Emachine and is cost prohibitive. You will need a new power supply. Emachine uses a special PS and is not compatible with other motherboards.
The good news is you have a good start on a very good inexpensive computer.
All you need right now is a motherboard and case w/PS. A motherboard w/onboard video if the card in your current machine is onbord.
I guess less than $100.
Of course an OS. I would go with W2k, but that is just me. If you go with XP go with XP Pro.

#10 mama4cats

mama4cats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2005 - 10:24 PM

Thanks so much, acklan. I appreciate all of the advice.

I figured that would be my option at this point, so I will head in that direction. Thanks again, and I'm sure that will only increase my amount of questions on the board, but I really think I may actually learn something?

S

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2005 - 11:56 PM

We all live to learn. If you have question you will be pleasently suprized at the amount of advice you will receive.
Remember you can do this. It's not hard and it's fun.

Merry Christmas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users