Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard-drive stuck on dead PC.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kegan

Kegan

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:56 AM

This was my computer, http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=3300335&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&tmp_track_link=ot_we/prodlink/en_us/3300335/loc:0&cc=us
My only upgrade was to upgrade it to 2 Gigabytes of DDR2 memory. Although they seem to have changed the appearance, that's the same model number. That was 2 years ago, anyway.

Not quite a week ago, my computer ceased to boot up. No blue screen, no error screen, This was after I was forced to hard boot it, following a sudden and complete failure, which left a jumble of red white and black pixels all over my screen. What caused it to do this? I don't know. It was about 5 years old-- not that 5 is an appropriate age for breaking. It does, however, make it seem more likely to be old age.

I believe that the problem lies in the motherboard. The reason I believe this is because my monitor cannot receive a signal most of the time, and when it does, it freezes at the manufacturer logo(I could not use my keyboard either time I was able to get this far.)

I have given it up for dead, and ordered the parts to build a completely new system, with pretty much no resemblance to my old setup.

However, I would like to recover the information off the drive, but I doubt I could simply throw the hard drive into my system and expect it to work.

My plan for if I can get this drive running in a new system is to simply upgrade it to windows 7. Microsoft offers a heavily discounted version of Windows 7 Professional Upgrade software to students, and that'd be my option of choice.

My new system, if that is relevant.
CPU/GPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115073
Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121480
PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005
Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104140
New HDD
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00461LT7C/

Edited by Kegan, 31 January 2011 - 09:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:51 PM

Is the old drive SATA or IDE? The new one is SATA

What about the new motherboard?
If the old drive is IDE does the new MBD support that connection?

Will the cdrom be SATA or IDE? If IDE and the motherboard supports it this is a piece of cake
After builing & istalling everything (assuming the cd is IDE) temporarily disconnect the old hard drive there and you will be able to get your data off.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 Kegan

Kegan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:44 PM

SATA, of course. I planned around that.

And then you say CD-rom do you mean the optical drive?

My computer did not come with a factory issues recovery disc, if that is what you're talking about.

Edit: Also, I fixed the link at the top of the first post. It led to the right model, but it led to the FAQs page, or something.

Edited by Kegan, 31 January 2011 - 10:01 PM.

#4 Dmacf10

Dmacf10

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:51 PM

Reusing a OS from an old build usually isn't a good idea, you could have all kinds of driver issues and conflicts. You'd be much better off going with a fresh OS installation.

#5 Kegan

Kegan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:18 AM

I'm also not terribly sure if I could bring over some important things, like Photoshop Elements, for my tablet.

But I don't think that this would be the right forum...

#6 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:00 PM

Have you tried a new graphics card?

#7 Kegan

Kegan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:27 PM

Have you tried a new graphics card?

Yeah, actually, I took one from an old broken computer that's been collecting dust in my father's office, and assuming that that isn't what was wrong with that computer, it doesn't work. That was actually how I was able to get to the frozen manufacturer's screen in the first place. Well, I guess I forgot to mention all that. I was able to get it to this frozen manufacturer screen two out of 5 times. The sixth time I tried to boot my computer up, the fan would just run full blast until I turned off the computer.

I'm pretty sure it's the MoBo.

I was more interested in getting my new system up and running. (Haha, but now I just learned my new MoBo is being recalled. SPLENDID! Well, you've gotta respect Intel for owning up to their error, at least. Probably cutting their losses as soon as they could, though.)

Edit: Oh my, I have an actual bleeping computer!

I turned it on, then off, then off again. BEEEEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP!

If it was just a video error, I wonder why it only made the noise now. It might be that this new GPU is incompatible someone, though I don't think it could be.

Edited by Kegan, 01 February 2011 - 10:32 PM.

#8 Kegan

Kegan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:43 PM

Oh, oops,this is embarrassing. That was because I had taken a ram stick out to check it's model number yesterday.

The situation I described, and the last time I was able to get the manufacturer screen was 2 days before, though.

Incidentally, I just got to the manufacturer screen again, with my integrated graphics. It didn't last though, because after displaying it for a moment, it then tiled the middle third of the logo, horizontally from the top to the bottom of my screen.

I'd screen cap if I could :mellow:

#9 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:45 PM

Is your computer free of dust? And overheating is always a possibility. The processors thermal paste can dry out and cause it to get too hot. Do all of the fans seem to be running ok?

#10 Kegan

Kegan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:32 PM

Nothing was running hot when it happened. Not at any level which was noticeable to me. But I think people are missing the point here. I couldn't repair that computer, and that's not really been my goal in setting up this question. Also, if the processor melted down, I'd never find a replacement. IT's some obscure socket that they only ever made 3 processors for, and the last was in like 2006.(Thats just off the top of my head, don't expect it to be absolutely accurate. The point is simply that there aren't any processors made for this MOBO.)

I've decided to simply buy the full version of Windows 7, and I will try to see if I can recover some basic files (at-least) off the old drive. I'd really like to not lose all the stuff I was working on in photoshop and SketchUp, but we'll see if that's even a problem, I guess.

Edited by Kegan, 04 February 2011 - 02:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users