Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Keeps Freezing

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Slogunfx4

Slogunfx4

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 14 December 2005 - 03:13 AM

Hi all, My computer keeps on freezing everytime that i open up my computer and whenever i try to run programs such as nero but i can run IE and other programs perfedtly fine but whenever i open my computer that is it it will not let me do anything ctrl alt del won't work either when it freezes i have to reset it any help will be very much appreciated also i have run adaware and spybot and cleared everything that they have found

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 14 December 2005 - 11:12 AM

Have you tried running chkdsk on the drive in question?

#3 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2005 - 12:26 PM

If chkdsk does not reveal any problems, you might be having temperature issues and a program like Nero that uses more cpu cycles than ie is enough to put the computer over the edge and shut it down.

You can download motherboard monitor to check your internal temperatures.

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

Another simple step is to open up computer and blow out any accumulation of dust, trash, etc. and make sure fans are running properly.

#4 Slogunfx4

Slogunfx4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2005 - 12:45 PM

I ran chkdsk and came up with nothing and i don't think its a heat issue it is running at 97 degrees F. Is there anything else it maybe and also i can run nero up until i go to put in files that i want to burn then it locks up it's like any program that i use runs fine until i try to open a file in it then it freezes

#5 vfj

vfj

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 14 December 2005 - 01:28 PM

Sounds like heat-- put an additional fan in-- also make sure you get plenty of air to it- i took my hacksaw to the unit it was in - now no prob bit drastic eh' but the blighty can breath now :thumbsup: :flowers:

#6 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2005 - 03:33 PM

How much ram does the computer have? Nero puts a fair amount of demand on computer. You should probably have at least 512 meg.

Another thought is to look in event viewer and see if there are error messages associated with the shut downs. If there is nothing, then heat would still be my first concern.

Before you take a saw to case, you might try running computer with case open and see if that helps.

#7 Slogunfx4

Slogunfx4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2005 - 03:52 PM

It's not only nero that is freezing my computer and freezes as soon as i double click the my computer icon i get the window with all my drives and stuff to come up but once that is up the computer freezes. would that also be heat related and also what is a normal operating temperature i am running an AMD Sempron processor which i was told that AMDs run hotter than other processors

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 14 December 2005 - 08:25 PM

What are the specs on your computer? RAM, CPU mhz, HD size with used/unused space.
Have you run system cleanup of late?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#9 Slogunfx4

Slogunfx4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2005 - 09:52 PM

yes i have run clean disk. It has 224 ram the hd is 200gig and i'm not sure about mhz does 2200 sound right?

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2005 - 10:31 PM

Your running light on RAM. Download and run...

Everest home (hardware and software information) Site 1
Everest home (hardware and software information) Site 2

It will show you how much memory your system demands. If you are running the basic protection of AV and AS you are probably uing 200MB+ of you RAM before even openinng IE.
I believe you need to have 384mb min. but would recommmend 512mb of RAM.
How large it your swapfile? It is suppose to be 1 and a haft times larger than your memory, but I believe that also wold be low.

#11 Slogunfx4

Slogunfx4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2005 - 11:33 PM

You got me confused w/ the swap file where do i find it? Also everything that is freezing my computer never did it before what could have changed??

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2005 - 12:02 AM

Go to Start>Programs>System Properties>Advance>Preformance>Advanced>Change. Click on the ? in the upper right corner. Then click on the field you want info about. This resource suppliments the RAM.

#13 Slogunfx4

Slogunfx4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2005 - 12:25 AM

I was going through stuff on here and went to my error log and i keep getting this error "Thursday, December 15, 2005 Cdrom The driver detected a controller error on \Device\CdRom1 " could this be my problem because it seems like only programs connected to my cdrom are having problems and freezing my pc

#14 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2005 - 12:36 AM

It could be. Do you have Everest on your computer? Try it. It may get you a better idea of your problem, if it is hardware related.

Edited by acklan, 15 December 2005 - 12:36 AM.

#15 Slogunfx4

Slogunfx4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2005 - 12:44 AM

what do i do with it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users