Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Choose where the boot loader goes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CHansohn

CHansohn

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:35 AM

is there a way to have windows put the boot loader on a drive of your choosing? I have 2 HDDs in my computer and from what I can tell windows put its boot loader on my other drive. is there a way (other then disconnecting the other one) to get windows to put the boot loader on the other drive like change priority in the BIOs?

CPU = Intel i7 950
Motherboard = Asus P6X58D
RAM = Corsair XMS3 DDR3 6X 2GB
Power Supply = Corsair AX1200W
Graphics Card = GTX 580 2-way SLI

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acheleg

acheleg

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:41 AM

if you change boot order and reinstall windows, it will put the new mbr on the new primary drive. the bootloader is stored inside the mbr (master boot record) partition, which is always installed on the primary boot drive at the time of the OS install.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:23 PM

The MBR is part of the Windows operating system. Where ever the operating system is installed is where you will find it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users