Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 freezes after logging on

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 needsalittlehelp

needsalittlehelp

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:16 PM

After I login my computer freezes. My mouse works but it looks like the CPU is thinking. Sometimes I can start in safe mode but others it freezes on the black screen as it is loading. When I stArt in safe mode everything seems to work fine. I have run a virus scan (avg free) and another with eset online scanner and deleted/quarantined found threats. I am running windows 7 premium 64bit.
Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:47 PM

Hello,let's see if we can run this on that 64

Please download the TDSS Rootkit Removing Tool (TDSSKiller.exe) and save it to your Desktop. <-Important!!!
Be sure to download TDSSKiller.exe (v2.4.0.0) from Kaspersky's website and not TDSSKiller.zip which appears to be an older version 2.3.2.2 of the tool.
  • Double-click on TDSSKiller.exe to run the tool for known TDSS variants.
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • If TDSSKiller does not run, try renaming it.
  • To do this, right-click on TDSSKiller.exe, select Rename and give it a random name with the .com file extension (i.e. 123abc.com). If you do not see the file extension, please refer to How to change the file extension.
  • Click the Start Scan button.
  • Do not use the computer during the scan
  • If the scan completes with nothing found, click Close to exit.
  • If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results - Select action for found objects and offer three options.
  • Ensure Cure (default) is selected, then click Continue > Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.
  • A log file named TDSSKiller_version_date_time_log.txt (i.e. TDSSKiller.2.4.0.0_27.07.2010_09.o7.26_log.txt) will be created and saved to the root directory (usually Local Disk C:).
  • Copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 needsalittlehelp

needsalittlehelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:12 PM

Just to make sure. You want me to download and run this in safe mode, correct? Because I can't do it in normal mode.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,561 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:15 PM

Yes that will be OK>
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 needsalittlehelp

needsalittlehelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:24 AM

I attempted to boot into safe mode again and could not- it hung at loading the drivers. It sounde ike the hard drive was doing a loop attempting to do something it couldn't. I used Hitachi's Driv Fitness Test (that I had on a disc) and tested the drive. I got an error code:

Faiure Code : 0x73 - Defective Device. Excessive Shock

Technical Result Code (TRC) 7300285B

Since the laptop hasn't been dropped or hit, does this mean electrical shock?

Is there any chance that this test is incorrect?

If not any chance I can get the data off?

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,561 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:08 AM

MOVED to win 7 forum,

#7 needsalittlehelp

needsalittlehelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:48 AM

hello again- I see you moved this topic but something has come up.

instead of hitting f8 to get to safe mode (which now always seems to freeze) I tried a different way. I removed the battery and power cord. Then i reconnected them. when I turned it on again ,I got a screen saying that Your computer did not shut down properly blah, blah, blah, and gave me the 3 options for safe mode. every time I use this method I can access safe mode. Also I noticed 2 other things which may be relevant.

1.)anytime I right click the computer seems to freeze.

2.)there are 2 files on my desktop called desktop.ini-- I didn't think you could have 2 files with the exact same name in the same diretory. these are not shortcuts.

I have been able to run the program that you asked earlier.

After it scans it comes up with 1 threat. In the scan results window it says:

!Suspicious objects

- Forged file skip

Service
Service name:udfs
Service type:File system driver (0x2)
Service start: Disabled (0x4)
File: C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\udfs.sys
MD5: 5f6f4ce6e34c63088f2do49db21ae060
MD5(forged): d47baead86c65d4f44069d7ce0a4edceb

and the the only box I can click is Continue in the lower right of the window or the skip in the top right.

when I cick continue I get:
System scan completed

Duration: 00:00:32
Infection: not found

and then i click close.

please let me know what I should do next. Thank You

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:23 PM

Well since the Hitachi Drive Test said it failed and gave an error code, I think you should be thinking about not using the computer until you can get a new hard drive.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:31 PM

Hello I have read your description of the problems you are having with your laptop.

Cryptodan may be correct that your hard drive is in need of being replaced.

I want to ask a few questions first that may reveal the reason your computer has been freezing up.

Have you had the laptop cleaned out for dust accumulation since you have owned this device?

Do you see any signs of dust in any of the air vents?

Can you determine if the laptop cooling fan is spinning freely, no odd vibrations or dust clogs?

A hard drive can exhibit errors if they are subject to heat for long durations, these errors can be stored in a hard drives controller chip ROM chip and displayed when running a disk diagnosis program.

Although hard drives are fairly cheap these days, you may want to check the suggestions I have offered above to determine if your laptop is is need of a regular annual cleaning.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users