Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Port Forwarding for Black Ops

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ILoveSebby

ILoveSebby

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:24 PM

Let me just start out by saying that I am not very savvy with this type of stuff so if it is not allowed, sorry. I've done a bunch of Google searches to no avail and I was wondering if someone could help me set up port forwarding for my Black Ops game for XBOX 360. I run through a local internet connection (at 6 megs) and I doubt they would provide much help, if any at all. I have no trouble with regular internet connection through my computer at all but when it comes to Black Ops it's a whole different story. Regardless of time of day, I usually only have 1 (sometimes 2 if I'm lucky) connection bars in gameplay and it is definitely taking its toll. I also usually cannot play between 2 P.M. and 11 P.M. especially on Fridays and Saturdays. I've tried the instructions that I have found through Google results but since I am not very savvy my results have been less than satisfying so I was wondering if someone could help me a little more in depth with it.

If help can be given, if this information may be of use, I have a Netgear N600 Dual Band Router.

Any help is appreciated!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MBakerNH

MBakerNH

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:10 PM

I believe I set it up once with the following:

Generic XBox Live Ports:
UDP: 88, 1863, 3074
TCP: 1863, 3074

Additional Call of Duty Black-Ops Ports:
UDP: 22782, 33233

Obviously, it works best if the host machine is set up with a static IP.

#3 ILoveSebby

ILoveSebby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:39 AM

I hate to say this because I feel dumb, but could you be a little more in depth? I have no clue on what to do.

#4 MBakerNH

MBakerNH

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:17 AM

Well - first you need a static address on your machine - what OS do you have?

#5 spectre398

spectre398

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:41 PM

If you're setting up a static IP, you won't need to port forward, you will just need to enable a DMZ. Try portforward.com if you want a guide. If you would rather port forward, you have to go to your routers webpage, depending on what router or ISP you have this might change, usually it's either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.254.1.
Then login to an admin account. The default login for most routers is username: admin, password: admin, or password: password. You then have to go to the Port Forwarding (NAPT) setup on the page somewhere. You pretty much just type in those numbers he gave you and choose the protocol he gave you, apply and save the changes. Restart your router and playstation just for good luck, and you should be good.

#6 ILoveSebby

ILoveSebby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:45 PM

It only has the option to enter a starting port and an ending port

#7 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:08 PM

Run a speedtest from here: http://www.speedtest.net/

Post back the results you receive. Especially the ping/latency result.

Edit: On the "party" screen of Black Ops what does it display your NAT type as? Should be in the bottom right, I think.

Edited by NpaMA, 01 February 2011 - 10:10 PM.

#8 ILoveSebby

ILoveSebby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:20 AM

Posted Image

NAT type is Open.

Edited by ILoveSebby, 03 February 2011 - 08:20 AM.

#9 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:28 AM

NAT Type: Open means all ports are forwarded correctly (UPnP most likely).

Your download, upload, and ping are fine for Black Ops.

Have you tried enabling the "LOCALE ONLY" setting?

#10 ILoveSebby

ILoveSebby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:18 PM

No but I guess I can as a last resort. My lag is extremely bad to the point that people kill me before I can even penetrate them with two bullets. Everything is just delayed.

#11 ILoveSebby

ILoveSebby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:23 PM

Sorry for double posting, but I figured this thread has already been read.

Just wanted to say that setting the settings to "locale only" does not work. Not even "locale." When I do that and do searches, no matter how many times I do searches it will take me to the screen that says "waiting for 5 more players" and nothing else happens after that. It will not send me to any games that already have players.

#12 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:05 AM

Have you tried connecting with an Ethernet cable and seeing if the problem is with the wireless or the router settings?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#13 ILoveSebby

ILoveSebby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:29 PM

I would like to, but that would have to be an extremely long ethernet cable. The XBOX and the router/computer are halfway across the house from each other.

#14 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:23 PM

Your distance from the router is likely the problem depending on atmospheric conditions and outside interference (anything that operates on 2.4 ghz, microwaves, electrical wiring, and other routers on the same channel) your connection speed and signal strength will suffer. If you try moving the Xbox closer to the router does the gaming get better? If it does you will need to look into a wireless bridge,

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#15 Out_of_Line

Out_of_Line

• Banned
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:37 PM

Port forwarding wont help in the slightest, you lag because you use a wireless router

I used to do that too because the cable guy saidthe router was too far away blah blah

I finally got my head out of my ass, drilled a hole in the floor and set up a 100' cable, pinned it all along my ceiling and now my connection is perfect

If yours is further than a 100' cable maybe they have a connector that can connect two cables im not sure about that however

Bottom line is as long as you use a wireless router your connection will suck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users