Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Server Vs Pc?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tjsleather

tjsleather

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 14 December 2005 - 12:25 AM

I know for some this is a dumb question but what is the difference between a pc and a server?

I purchased a storage unit in an auction it was full of pc stuff including a tower. The tower is password protected but came up on the screen as windows 2000 server.
It has a 2 huge HD's and tons of ram. However when I took it to someone to have the password removed to use it he told me it was no good. It is a server and I can never use it for personal use...
Can someone exp-lain the differences?
What can I use this tower for?
Thanks for your patience...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 14 December 2005 - 07:05 AM

The more information you provide the better the answer you will get, does the tower have a brand name or model on it? Do you know what processor(s) are in it? How much is "tons" of memory? How big are "huge" hard drives?

I don't know much about servers but I can give you a generalised answer to your question - if you think about the capabilities of a PC - graphics display, RAM, CPU, storage capacity, networking - the desktop PC is designed to give you the best graphics, a good amount of RAM, single CPU, fair storage and basic networking. A server would be the opposite - basic graphics, lots of RAM, multi CPU, lots of storage and excellent networking. The hard drives may be higher quality designed to cope with higher workloads. The whole system is designed to service multiple tasks for multiple clients elsewhere on the network, the local display is likely to be basic as it is usually only used for administrative functions (although this depends on the type of server).

What could you use it for? That depends on what kind of computer network you have or want to have. If you have a business network then you could set it up as a file server, an internet proxy, or a mail server and use it to implement security policies across your network. If you have a few PCs on a home network then you could use it as a file server and for backups. Of course if you don't have the password or the license key then you won't be able to use it (the Windows 2000) for anything. If that were the case you could install some flavout of Linux on it and it would still be useful.

Over to those who know more about these things.....

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 14 December 2005 - 01:52 PM

set it next to your comuter and map the drives and use it a extra HD storage. I use mine as a scanner/NAS hard drive and CD station. Sever web pages from your HSI (cable, DSL, ISDN).
All things equal your probably don't need it. You may be better off selling it to get a new, more practical computer. If you like playing with computers it does offer a new hobby. Uploading to the net instead of just downloading.

I bought one for fun a couple of years ago, and love.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users