Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Forgot to shut down USB device before unplugging

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Alabamasweet

Alabamasweet

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:54 PM

Running an HP Pavillion slimline S5123W. My daughter accidently removed a USB device without using the USB shut down promt. Now the computer gives an HP blue screen with the F10,ESC (Boot Menu),F9 and F11 prompts (that don't work when chosen, except F10 and only very slowly sometimes) which goes to another black screen saying Warning USB device over current detected Please remove over current USB device. System will shut down in 20 seconds. Even though there is not a USB device in USB slot. We have rebooted, done a cold boot (with complete unplug) and still the same thing. Will it be necessary to remove the USB slot or disconnect? If so, how do I do that? What can we do to be able to use the computer again? Right now it is off and unplugged.

Thanks, Alabamasweet

Edited by Alabamasweet, 30 January 2011 - 04:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:00 PM

Try going into Device Manager...then deleting the USB controllers only (not hubs, not devices). Then reboot.

Louis

#3 Alabamasweet

Alabamasweet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:52 PM

Would love to do that but the computer will not boot due to over current USB device. It won't load in safe mode, or dos, or windows... Just get what I described above!

#4 Alabamasweet

Alabamasweet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:54 PM

What might happen if I physically unplug the USB and then replug it? Then reboot... think that might work?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:31 AM

Google Links

Seems to be something primarily afflicting Asus boards/systems...I've never heard of this warning/error message before you posted it.

Louis

#6 Alabamasweet

Alabamasweet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:10 PM

Me neither! I will try the above fix and let you all know what happens!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users