Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Error

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ClemsonTiger

ClemsonTiger

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:43 PM

I'm out of ideas. I've been running Win 7 on this machine for more than a year without issues in updating etc. Now it will not search or update/install critical items. I'm running Symantec (even tried turning the firewall off without any success). I get an error code 80072F7C. When I run hijackthis, I get an error message that my system denied write access to the Hosts file. I proceed with the scan but am unable to produce a log file. I've included a screenshot from the windows update error as well as the error I get when trying to run hijack this...

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrispreston05

chrispreston05

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:56 PM

The first thing to do is to stop the Windows Update service on your Windows 7 machine. You can do this by going to Start and typing in "services" in the search box...click Services

Now scroll down until you see the Windows Update service, right-click on it and choose Stop.

Now that the Windows Update service has been disabled, you need to go to the following folder and delete all the files and folders inside of it:

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\

Once you have deleted everything, go back to the Services dialog and right-click on the Windows Update service and choose Start. All the files and folders will be re-created and hopefully you can start downloading updates for your PC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users