Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help after major virus attack.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 castoffpolite

castoffpolite

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:09 PM

As some of you are aware, I took a major hit on January 24, of this year. The situation and what I did after, is posted in the General Chat area under the heading of "What you did to fix the problem", it is pinned to the top of the list. It was very ugly.

My system is back to where I at least feel safe enough to get online. My problem is I am now getting vulnerability security errors about some updates needed from Microsoft. I get to the page for these updates, and receive the message that the page, update, yada yada is no longer active. I go to the MS update page, the updates are not listed in my needed list. I do not know if the updates were in the downloads I did after I got back online. I do not know if what Trend is saying is right or not, and it is not as simple as just "well they are not in my needed updates page from the upgrade site, so I must have them already". I cannot just let this ride because of the recent attack, if there is a problem, then I am still vulnerable to another attack. Trend sets the risk level for these updates as as high or extreme. If I cannot secure this machine, I can't work.

One problem I am having is with a driver that deals with the PCI Simple Communications Controller. I can't find the stupid driver for that.

The security problems that Trend lists are,

MS10-017; MS10-038; MS10-045; all high

MS10-056 Extreme

I plan to go with the Windows 7 OS, I did the adviser thing and I can go with either Professional or Ultimate. Until then though, I need to secure my current OS so I can go back to work.

Any help is appreciated.

Castoffpolite

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:48 PM

The easy way to determine if these "errors" warrant any interest...is to remove your Trend product and try something like Avira or Avast. Those two are known to be reliable, trustworthy AV programs (among others), IMO.

Louis

#3 castoffpolite

castoffpolite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:36 PM

Thank you, will give it a try.

#4 castoffpolite

castoffpolite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:03 PM

Okay Louis,

I just finished downloading and running Avira Premium (twice). First time it found two items and deleted them. Second time through, it did not find anything. I think I found new AV ware, this was simple and not stressful to use. In the final report there were two hidden items that Avira couldn't check. I've no idea what those would be as I have my system open to show all hidden files.

I feel better with this new scan. Avira did not say there was any hardware or MS security problems, although there might be. One thing I feel better about is that there was a couple problems and Avira dealt with them, it was easy and not stressful. Yep, I like the way Avira works.

Thank You for the suggestion.

C

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 10:50 PM

Topic closed due to a topic started in AII:
Wish for help after a major virus attack
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users