Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safely Remove Hardware icon is always displayed

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tommymac

tommymac

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:11 PM

My HP Desktop computer always shows the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon near the clock even though there is nothing plugged into any of the hardware inputs. When I right click it, the box shows a USB device. When I check "Display device components"to expand the tree it shows devices at four locations. When I try to stop the device I get a message that the device is being used, close the programs and to try again later, even though there are no devices plugged in. Related to this, when I do plug a USB flash drive in and go to remove it I sometime get the same error message. The only relevant thing I can think of is that my son has used External Hard Drives on this computer and installed a program from Seagate to use with those Ext. HD's. The program icon also loads whenever the computer starts. Any Ideas why the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon is always there or why I get the error message?
Thanks,
Tommy
MacBook Pro OS X 10.8.2 Intel 2.2 GHz i7 4 megs Ram 750 GB HD
MacBook Pro OS X 10..8.2 Intel 2.5 GHz i5, 4 megs 500 GB HD
Desktop: HP Pavilion a6614f: 640 gig hard drive, 6GB ram, AMD Phenom X4, Windows 7
Avast Free Antivirus, MBAM Pro, SuperAntiSpyware Free, Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:46 PM

sounds like it could be a multi card reader

Edited by caperjac, 30 January 2011 - 01:47 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 tommymac

tommymac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:12 PM

The PC has four seperate card slots. There are no cards in any of them. I guess I'm not sure what you meant by your post.

Edited by tommymac, 30 January 2011 - 02:13 PM.

Desktop: HP Pavilion a6614f: 640 gig hard drive, 6GB ram, AMD Phenom X4, Windows 7

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 04:08 PM

I get a message that the device is being used

sorry i miss read this comment to be, "is not being used"

my thought was a card reader in the tower ,that was plugged in,inside, the tower and showing as a plugged in device itself,sorry

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 04:23 PM

you could try stopping the seagate tool from starting , go start /run ,type in msconfig /go to startup tab,and find the seagate tool and uncheck it reboot computer

#6 tommymac

tommymac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:49 AM

thanks for the suggestion caperjac, I gave it a try but even with the Seagate dissabled at start up, I get the same error message.

"Windows can't stop your (Generic-MS/MS-Pro USB Device') device because a program is still using it. Close any programs that might be using the divice, and then try again later."

I get this even though there are no devices plugged in. When the information box to close the devices opens, it tells me there is a USB Mass Storage Device at Port_#008.Hub_#0002.

The computer has 6 USB devices 2 on the front panell 1 of witch is used by the printer, 2 fire wire cable inputs,1 front and 1 back, and 4 Memory Card ports on the front.

Edited by tommymac, 31 January 2011 - 10:51 AM.

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:19 PM

you could try going into device manager[right click on mycomputer/ go properties /device manager ] and scroll down to universal serial bus controllers ,click to expand the list ,right click on each one in the list and delete it ,rebooting computer, windows will reload drivers for each one,hopefully not the one giving the error

#8 tommymac

tommymac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:49 AM

Thank You caperjac, That worked. After the restart I was able to close the icon out! I'm a happy camper now. While I was in the Device Manager\ under System Devices, I noticed I have listed 4 "PCI standard PCI to PCI bridge", 2 "PCI standard RAM controller" and 2 "UNBus Enumerator" listed. Is that normal? (Vista 64 bit SP2)
Also I am having problems with this Desktops Speaker System. The only way I can get sound to work is to plug in an external source. While in device manager I noticed that under Speaker System it says there is no driver installed. I tried to update the driver but that did not work. If given the option to uninstall it should I try that with the speaker system sound driver?

I see you are from Nova Scotia, My Grand Mother migrated to Nova Scotia from Scotland sometime in the early 1900's. I do not know where she lived while there. How is the weather there this time of year? It's -9 F here in Northern Minnesota this morning.

Thanks Again
Tommy

#9 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:59 PM

i have to admit im not sure if its normal ,i guess if it isn't causing a problem won't hurt to leave it alone ,as for sound ,you should go to hp web site with the computers model # and download new drivers ,you could post the model # here if you have problems finding the right ones .

as for the weather here its +16f right now ,with a snow storm or 2 in the forecast for the next few days .

Edit:
Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users