Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE Explorer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 billfid

billfid

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:40 PM

My last encounter with malware included a rootkit which used Internet Explorer as its base of operations. My computer guru has always encouraged me to use Firefox as my default browser, which I do, faithfully. However, I notice that IE still keeps a history of sorts--which means to me that it's still "running" in the background, and thus is somewhat available to be hacked by malware and trojans, etc. Is it possible to remove IE entirely from Windows XP? (My guess is no, but there's always hope. --billfid

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:52 PM

Your guess is correct.

Microsoft has woven it so deeply into all their OS`s that it is not at possible to remove\uninstall it.

#3 billfid

billfid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:26 AM

Is there some way to shut IE off more competely then? Why does it keep any sort of history, for example?

#4 nitekram

nitekram

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:54 PM

You might be able to removed explorer, but you will need another SHELL program and that will have to be updated in your computer for the new shell.

this might help
http://www.knowledgesutra.com/forums/topic/20367-how-to-change-the-windows-xp-shell/

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:03 PM

@ nitekram.

Interesting, but a pretty old thread. Of the 3 links provided in the first post of that thread only one still even points to a shell.

Current version: xoblite bb3 | RC1 | 0.5.12.31 | December 31st, 2005

Bolded text is mine to point out it is only a Release Canidate which has not been updated in over 4 years.

If you have a PC to just play with it might be interesting. But far from intended for the Average User.

#6 nitekram

nitekram

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:17 PM

I was only posting that as an example, as I have played with it (not this SHELL) and there are (I am sure) other ways (google -> Change XP SHELL), programs out there that will do the same thing - really you only need to have a viewer (for folders/files) and a way to run a program - I used a program that was a notebook/journal of sorts - cannot remember the name right now - will post if I remember.

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:44 PM

go to control panel /add and remove programs ,on the left see add windows components ,IE will be there uncheck it to uninstall it ,

im using win7 with winxp mode installed and i just did the above and uninstalled IE from it ,i don't have a computer here right now with xp on it to try but i will assume its the same

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#8 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:01 PM

this worked for me

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:19 PM

Internet Explorer (the web browser) and Windows Explorer (the default shell) are not the same thing.

Internet Explorer cannot be completely removed from Windows. A version of Windows with IE functionally disabled was produced specifically for the EU market. But components of IE such as the HTML rendering engine are integral to Windows and are used by Windows itself and also some other browsers (including Firefox if you set it up to do so).

Uninstalling IE will either revert the installation to an older, less secure version, or delete iexplore.exe, depending on the Windows version. Windows update and error reporting will by default use IE.

Since the most likely cause of malware being able to infect through IE is having an old and/or non-updated version on the system, the safest thing to do is to have the current version and keep security updates current. If you really want to ensure IE can't unintentionally be run, you can take steps to remove or rename the executable.

But remember that using an alternative browser in itself only means you're opting for a different set of potential security vulnerabilities, that may perhaps be less widely targeted.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:28 PM

this worked for me

Unless you have one of the EU versions mentioned by Platypus. You will find, as he also mentioned, that you still, somewhere on the machine, have a vers. of IE.

#11 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:47 AM

this worked for me

Unless you have one of the EU versions mentioned by Platypus. You will find, as he also mentioned, that you still, somewhere on the machine, have a vers. of IE.

maybe so ,didn't look ,but when i clicked on the internet icon in start menu it took me to the create a connection setup,i did not run it .

Edited by caperjac, 01 February 2011 - 05:48 AM.

#12 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:53 PM

If you had finished the process of creating the internet connection you would then have seen it use, I believe IE5, to browse with.

Many, many years ago I dug through every bit of information I could find about removing IE from Windows. From manual forced deletion of any and everything related to using N-lite. And a few different methods in between.

Without fail, all I ever wound up with was a badly crippled far less he fully functional OS.

#13 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:30 PM

Is there some way to shut IE off more competely then? Why does it keep any sort of history, for example?

I have found that with a decent A/virus and updated Antimalware that I live with Internet Explorer as my prime nrowser now -
Also included with the setup shown is HostsMan program (Cnet Link)- http://dw.com.com/redir?edId=3&siteId=4&oId=3000-2381_4-10409169&ontId=2381_4&spi=c0ff49e6d541ae9c212aa4cbcb31a8e0&lop=link&tag=tdw_dltext&ltype=dl_dlnow&pid=11265924&mfgId=6272806&merId=6272806&pguid=JkFa5woOYJEAAEZLSNQAAADq&destUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fdownload.cnet.com%2F3001-2381_4-10409169.html%3Fspi%3Dc0ff49e6d541ae9c212aa4cbcb31a8e0 that will remove many suspect sites --
This is my setup below -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users