Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transferring pics & docs

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 inalambrico

inalambrico

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:32 PM

I was forced to purchase a new desktop PC as a voltage surge seems to have damaged the motherboard. The power supply was tested good, but the PC would not turn on.

The new PC has Windows 7. I removed the old hard drive and using a USB adaptor cable I began what I thought was an easy task to transfer my pictures, documents, music files etc etc

Apparently at some point in the past I had a spell of stupidity as each and every piece of information on the old hard drive has security settings that won't allow me to open, share or move the picture/document/file.

What I have had to do is to each and every picture/document/file I wanted to move I had to change the security settings so that I was the owner then commanded that file to be shared. I tried highlighting and entire folder, right click, take ownership but that didn't work. I also highlighted several picture files and did the same thing (take ownership) but that didn't work.

Isn't there some type of global command that would allow me to take ownership on every piece of information on the old hard drive?

Thank You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:16 PM

When the Docs & Settings folders...are moved from one system/drive to another...typically, one must take ownership of the files.

http://www.blogsdna.com/2159/how-to-take-ownership-grant-permissions-to-access-files-folder-in-windows-7.htm

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users