Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive,

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tommymac

tommymac

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:20 PM

Hi all, I am having a bugger of a time deciding on which External Hard Drive to buy or, maybe I need more than one but I would rather, keep it to one if possible. I have never owned one and my knowledge base is just beginning to develop.
Because the USB 3 is new I am thinking that is the way to go. I do not have any computers with USB 3 ports at the current time but would like to look into putting, if possible a USB 3 card in this HP Desktop; I know that topic should go to the internal hardware forum but 'thought I'd start here. It would be nice too if the External HD would be compatible with both PC and Apple. I will be shopping for a new laptop soon and am considering an Apple, but WOW they are pricey. As for current needs here they are.

1) I want to back up 3 or 4 computers, This HP Desktop, 540 GB used on a 640 GB HD, Running Vista 64 but might soon upgraded to Windows 7. The Toshiba Laptop in my Signature, my new yet to be purchase Laptop and my Daughters Laptop that has a 500 GB HD. Is it possible to back up more than one computer on a single Ext. HD?
2) I would like to be able to take it with me, be portable because I spend a lot of time away from home in the summer months and the new Laptop will go with me. I am going to look into storing movies, music and inputing a lot of pictures form my summer location.
3) Whatever you guys can bring to my attention, things I have not thought of as of yet.

From browsing this forum I see that a lot of you recommend a cooling fan, that does make a lot of sense. I am considering a 2 TB just because they seem to be a good value and you never know how much data you will be backing up in the future. One with USB 3, and one that is compatible with both Apple and PC, Vista and 7. Plus the multi PC back up idea. Right now I am close to buying a Seagate Free Agent GoFlex Desk. Is Seagate better, than say a Western Digital or Hitatchi,etc? The reason I am here is to listen to suggestions.
Thank You
Tommy

Edited by tommymac, 31 January 2011 - 11:53 AM.

MacBook Pro OS X 10.8.2 Intel 2.2 GHz i7 4 megs Ram 750 GB HD
MacBook Pro OS X 10..8.2 Intel 2.5 GHz i5, 4 megs 500 GB HD
Desktop: HP Pavilion a6614f: 640 gig hard drive, 6GB ram, AMD Phenom X4, Windows 7
Avast Free Antivirus, MBAM Pro, SuperAntiSpyware Free, Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:51 AM

You might want to consider a NETWORK STORAGE external hard drive. It would be hooked into your router and ANYONE could access it. (like a network printer)

You need to decide what sort of software you will back up with. Either a simple file backup, an NT Backup (that creates a bkf file), an image maker (like Ghost or True Image) or one of the proprietary programs that come with the hard drives.

Next, check out warranties on the various manufacturers. Seagate has 2, 3 and some 5 year warranties. WD has 1, 2 and 3 year warranties. Each Mfg has different "levels" of performance.

As for USB 3.0, you might want to wait until you see what Intel is coming out with. It will be faster than UB 3.0 and I believe it will be faster than an internal SATA drive. That is why Intel has not incorporated the USB 3 into their motherboards yet.

I hope this helps.

DR

#3 tommymac

tommymac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:45 PM

Thanks rigacci. A Network Storage Ext.HD. Well that gives me something else to thing about. If I were to go that route I would probably go with two. As far as back up software goes, Cobian seems to be highly regarded. Thats an area that I still need to research. Is it possible to do a complete backup of Two or More Computers, including operating systems on one Ext. HD? I am beginning to learn that the new USB 3 ports must have appropriate mother boards, but I thought I thought I saw where you can add a USB 3 card to some computers. I am sorry to say that I have never backed up a computer before. I've made back up Start Up disks, but never backed up an entire computer. I know that there are tutorials on this site, 'guess I'll just have to take time and read them. I have had multiple users on this computer. They now have there own computers. Am I wrong in assuming that once this computer is backed up they could visit the backed up files and take things they need or want from the ext. HD? Thanks again.

Edited by tommymac, 01 February 2011 - 04:45 PM.

MacBook Pro OS X 10.8.2 Intel 2.2 GHz i7 4 megs Ram 750 GB HD
MacBook Pro OS X 10..8.2 Intel 2.5 GHz i5, 4 megs 500 GB HD
Desktop: HP Pavilion a6614f: 640 gig hard drive, 6GB ram, AMD Phenom X4, Windows 7
Avast Free Antivirus, MBAM Pro, SuperAntiSpyware Free, Windows Firewall

#4 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:17 PM

The access to the files is the kicker and dependent on the software. I have a Samsung Story drive and it backs up each separate file, so i can go on there and access it.

I just set up a friend with a WD Essentials (see New Egg) and that has automatic backup software. You just plug it in and it takes off and backs up any new files since the last backup. It can also keep UP to 25 previous versions of files. (kind of like shadow copies).

The NTBackup that comes with Windows is the worst, it puts all the files into a single file. I am not sure how Cobian works but I am going to install it now on a separate machine and check it out.

It is good to back up files but creating an image (Ghost or Acronis true Image) is the easiest way to back up the entire computer. I would recommend a daily or at least weekly backup of all files and a monthly image backup of the entire C: drive. Restoring a computer from an image only takes about 30-60 minutes and you are back with ALL updates, just like before you crashed.

I have a Netgear Network Storage that works pretty good. I can hook 2 hard drives up to it. It really is nothing more than a unit for taking an IP address for the external drives.

Good luck.

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users