Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing OS when old system locked up

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Theressa

Theressa

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:46 AM

I have an old Windows XP laptop that was once owned by a Dow Chemical employee. It worked fine when I got it but recently I was locked out. I was told that Dow recently pulled all their old Licenses and shut down the old computers. I had never heard of anyone doing that but I figure they could do that if they want to. I also heard that they replaced all the computers to those who turned the old ones in. Not a bad deal if you work for Dow. So here is the problem. I want to take the OS from a hard drive from one of my older desktops and transfer that to my laptop. I have Easus partition software, I pulled the laptop hard drive and attached to another computer with external USB connector and made a seperate partition on the laptop hard drive and moved the contents of the desktop hard drive to the laptop hard drive. I had created a boot disk prior to the desktop breaking down so I used the boot disk to get the laptop to boot up but I cannot get into the laptop drive to run setup. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:45 PM

First you cannot just move a OS from one computer to another since the hardware access layer (or HAL) will buck at the different hardware. Best bet since you seem to have the old drive is to re-install windows on the laptop. Remeber to get all of your drivers downloaded before you start. Once windows is installed install your device drivers an do all of the windows updates before going any further. Now install all of your programs. Finally transfer over the information you need from the old Desktop like Favorites, My Documents, items from the desktop, outlook .pst files, and any program specific stuff like saved games and such.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users