Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting up Network

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 fEaR iTsElF510

fEaR iTsElF510

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 30 January 2011 - 06:09 AM

Starting monday i will take over the Teachers Assistent job for our Computer Lab. Of course every school will come with its fair share of people who wander off task or become disruptive. I want to set up all computers in the room up on a network so the Teacher and I can remote access there computers when they wander off task. There are 20+ computers in the room and all of them run of Ethernet cables, and all run off of a Server. All computers are windows XP including the so called "Brain Computer" where the teacher can track activity and remote access others. I know that XP isnt capable of Remote Access but im going to install Windows 7 Ultimate on the "Brain." Will i run into problems trying to control computers if the Brain is a Windows 7 OS and all the 20+ computers are standard XP? And if im able to use Windows 7 Ultimate and control others what are the steps that need to be taken to do so. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

fEaR iTsElF510

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:02 PM

I know XP Pro is capable of Remote Access. In this instance I believe Remote Desk Desktop, which XP Pro is also capable of would do the trick without need of a third party software.

You would need an Admin account with password on all machines. The Admin user name and name or IP address of the machine(s) you want to be able to connect to.

I believe XP Home has at the least Remote Desktop. But can not swear to it.

#3 fEaR iTsElF510

fEaR iTsElF510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:48 PM

All computers have admin accounts, and i can obtain all ip adresses through CMD, so what your saying is to get Windows XP Pro? If so then will it pretty much just walk me through?

#4 MBakerNH

MBakerNH

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:07 PM

You cannot connect to XP unless it is Pro. You can download a client to connect from an any XP machine to a Pro, but the machine being taken over has to be XP Pro.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:13 PM

MS has Remote Desktop available for download. This covers Win 98 through Win 2k. It is for the Client machines. Meaning the one(s) you want to observe.

From the above linked page.

{b]Note[/b] The Remote Desktop Connection software is pre-installed with Windows XP. To run it, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click Communications, and then click Remote Desktop Connection. This software package can also be found on the Windows XP Professional and Windows XP Home Edition product CDs and can be installed on any supported Windows platform. To install from the CD, insert the disc into the target machine's CD-ROM drive, select Perform Additional Tasks, and then click Install Remote Desktop Connection.

If you do not have the OS disk(s) available then the download also provides the installer to replace what is on the CD.

For ease of use you may want to convert the Client PCs to static IP`s if they are not already. The IT Dept should be able to assist you with that.

Edited by ThunderZ, 30 January 2011 - 11:14 PM.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:19 PM

You cannot connect to XP unless it is Pro. You can download a client to connect from an any XP machine to a Pro, but the machine being taken over has to be XP Pro.

If that is the case there is a tweak that makes Home think it is Pro. You do not get any of the additional benefits of Pro. But it will allow XP Home to be a Client of Remote Desktop. That is not what I am getting from what I am reading though.
Admittedly I am only running Pro and have never had need or attempted to Remote Desktop into an XP Home machine.

Before we got that far let`s verify what versions of XP we are dealing with for the Client PCs.

#7 fEaR iTsElF510

fEaR iTsElF510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:00 AM

Im almost positive all the Client systems are XP Home Edition. So if ThunderZ is correct i use the download link above considering the CD's will most likely be unavalible. I install the software on the Clients and that will make them able to be Remote controlled. And make the "Brain"computer Windows XP Pro so its capable of controlling the Clients.

#8 fEaR iTsElF510

fEaR iTsElF510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:28 AM

Oh, take back what i said earlier, if all computers are XP Home, and i install Pro on the Teachers Computer then i should be good to go considering XP home has the capability of being controlled. But in your opinions should i do this considering all are XP home's or should i try VNC if i can get ahold of it?

#9 MBakerNH

MBakerNH

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:55 AM

XP Home cannot be controlled. TZ is incorrect. RDC is available on any flavor of XP (in fact, it comes preinstalled you only need to download it if you uninstalled it AND don't have your original CDs,) but it is the client to connect to a remote machine. That remote (or host) machine must be Pro.

I am not sure what "tweak" TZ is mentioning, but if you are in a school, non-profit or business, you might want to run it by someone before you do any registry changes that will violate the EULA.

VNC is probably a much better option. Here are some of the variants. Most are commercial, and even those with free versions are so only for home environments. Still, you should be able to get an education discount. Again, talk it over with the powers.

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:42 AM

MBakerNH is correct. FAQ`s about Remote Desktop

Q. Is Remote Desktop available on Windows XP Home Edition?
A. No, however you can upgrade from Windows XP Home Edition to Windows XP Professional to get Remote Desktop. You can use Windows XP Home Edition as the client for accessing your Windows XP Professional computer running Remote Desktop.

Edited by ThunderZ, 31 January 2011 - 08:43 AM.

#11 fEaR iTsElF510

fEaR iTsElF510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:33 PM

Irrelevant because all machinces are Pro.........but would it be more efficent to remote access or use VNC?

#12 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:56 PM

At this point it is really up to you. Remote Desktop, different then Remote Access which is also on XP, is free and built in.

Have never used VNC so not sure if you will pay for more then you actually need.

Why not give Remote Desktop a try on one or two PCs. If it is not what you want\expect then one of the VNC options may be.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:28 PM

As pointed out...you don't have to confine yourself to native functionality within Windows.

Lots of 3d-party apps allow you to do what you want to do, IMO.

Louis

#14 fEaR iTsElF510

fEaR iTsElF510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:26 PM

ANy 3rd party programs that anyone would suggest?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users