Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 timegaintips

timegaintips

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:16 AM

Does anyone have a fix for this problem. This error message comes up on boot up and when closng it desktop restarts continuously and can't access desktop shortcuts. Before this happened I was having trouble with my searches being redirected from Google to Gomeo which is Malware. I ran RKill and Malwarebytes and I deleted all suggested infections. When I rebooted I immediately get this message theat internet explorer needs to close and so I do not have any desktop icons or toolbars to work from. I do not even have a start button

I am running Windows XP Media Center Edition with SP3

I would certainly prefer not to have to reload my OS and lose all of my current set up

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 30 January 2011 - 06:38 AM

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 timegaintips

timegaintips
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:03 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. It boots in safe mode and regular mode but there is no toolbars or icons on the desktop and the error message comes up the second it opens.

#4 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 30 January 2011 - 04:32 PM

Hi, :welcome:

We will need to view the system status from an external environment. You will need a USB drive and a CD to burn. There will be several steps to follow to determine the reason for the restart loop.

Download GETxPUD.exe to the desktop of your clean computer
  • Run GETxPUD.exe
  • A new folder will appear on the desktop.
  • Open the GETxPUD folder and click on the get&burn.bat
  • The program will download xpud_0.9.2.iso, and upon finished will open BurnCDCC ready to burn the image.
  • Click on Start and follow the prompts to burn the image to a CD.
  • Next download driver.sh to your USB drive
  • Also Download Query.exe to the USB drive. In your working computer, navigate to the USB drive and click on the Query.exe. A folder and a file, query.sh, will be extracted.
  • Remove the USB & CD and insert them in the sick computer
  • Boot the Sick computer with the CD you just burned
  • The computer must be set to boot from the CD
  • In some computers you need to tap F12 and choose to boot from the CD, in others is the Esc key. Please consult your computer's documentation.
  • Follow the prompts
  • A Welcome to xPUD screen will appear
  • Press File
  • Expand mnt
  • sda1,2...usually corresponds to your HDD
  • sdb1 is likely your USB
  • Click on the folder that represents your USB drive (sdb1 ?)
  • Confirm that you see driver.sh that you downloaded there
  • Press Tool at the top
  • Choose Open Terminal
  • Type bash driver.sh
  • Press Enter
  • After it has finished a report will be located on your USB drive named report.txt
  • Then type bash driver.sh -af
  • Press Enter
  • You will be prompted to input a filename.
  • Type the following:

Winlogon.exe

• Press Enter
  • If successful, the script will search for this file.
  • After it has completed the search enter the next file to be searched
  • Type the following:

Userinit.exe

• Press Enter
  • After it has completed the search enter the next file to be searched
  • Type the following:

Explorer.exe

• After the search is completed type Exit and press Enter.
  • After it has finished a report will be located in the USB drive as filefind.txt
  • Lastly type bash query.sh
  • Press Enter
  • After it has finished a report will be located at sdb1 named RegReport.txt
  • Plug that USB back into the clean computer and post the contents of the report.txt, filefind.txt and RegReport.txt in your next reply. If too large, attach the files to your replry.

No request for help throughout private messaging will be attended.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 04:47 PM

Hello, I have moved you here to the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum where it will stay.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 timegaintips

timegaintips
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:44 AM

Hi,

I am going through all the steps that were recommended but I hope that we are on the same page. My desktop is void of any folders or icons. I downloaded GETxPUD to the desktop but to get to it or even see it I have to open the Windows Task manager and hit File>New Task(run). That is what it is like to run without any Windows Explorer. So I will still go through what you are recommending. and thanks. I am using this computer but someone else needs to get ion it soon and it is pretty impossible to navigate.

#7 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,189 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:59 AM

Hi,

I am going through all the steps that were recommended but I hope that we are on the same page. My desktop is void of any folders or icons. I downloaded GETxPUD to the desktop but to get to it or even see it I have to open the Windows Task manager and hit File>New Task(run). That is what it is like to run without any Windows Explorer. So I will still go through what you are recommending. and thanks. I am using this computer but someone else needs to get ion it soon and it is pretty impossible to navigate.

xPUD must be downloaded to a working computer and the CD built. Once done, you will need to insert the CD in the troubled computer and boot from it.

I am under the impression that your computer is unbootable. The instructions weren't meant to be followed in the troubled computer.

If you are able to use the Task Manager, while holding the Ctrl key, click on New Task. That should provide you with a command prompt.

At the prompt type or copy and paste the following and press Enter:

Dir C:\explorer.exe /s

That command will search for all copies of explorer.exe in the computer. Attempt to copy explorer.exe from a location other than C:\windows into the C:\Windows folder overwriting the present copy in the folder. Then run Explorer.exe as a New Task. If able to have a graphic interface, then run Combofix as follows:

Please download ComboFix from Here or Here to your Desktop.

**Note: In the event you already have Combofix, this is a new version that I need you to download. It is important that it is saved directly to your desktop**
  • Please, never rename Combofix unless instructed.
  • Close any open browsers.
  • Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.

-----------------------------------------------------------

• Very Important! Temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any anti-malware real-time protection before performing a scan. They can interfere with ComboFix or remove some of its embedded files which may cause "unpredictable results".
    • Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. The list is not all inclusive. If yours is not listed and you don't know how to disable it, please ask.

If AVG or CA Internet Security Suite is installed, you must remove these programs before using Combofix. If any of these applications will not uninstall, it is first recommended to uninstall it with AppRemover by Opswat. http://www.appremover.com/supported-applications. Do not use AppRemover on Norton

• Close any open browsers.
    • WARNING: Combofix will disconnect your machine from the Internet as soon as it starts
    • Please do not attempt to re-connect your machine back to the Internet until Combofix has completely finished.
    • If there is no internet connection after running Combofix, then restart your computer to restore back your connection.

• Double click on combofix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • Install the Recovery Console if prompted.
  • When finished, it will produce a report for you.
  • Please post the "C:\ComboFix.txt" .
**Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall**

Note: ComboFix may reset a number of Internet Explorer's settings, including making it the default browser.
Note: Combofix prevents autorun of ALL CDs, floppies and USB devices to assist with malware removal & increase security.

Please do not install any new programs or update anything (always allow your antivirus/antispyware to update) unless told to do so while we are fixing your problem. If combofix alerts to a new version and offers to update, please let it. It is essential we always use the latest version.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

#8 timegaintips

timegaintips
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 02:36 AM

Hi I am sorry I stepped away for a few days.
I did the thing where I got a command prompt and I ran explorer.exe /s and immediately I just get a window that pops up and says Windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close
It seems like the second explorer tries to load it shuts down

This makes it a bit difficult to remove programs because I do not have a control panel. I have Spyware doctor and Malwarebytes and possible Eset as virus protection
I will put combo fix on the desktop and wait for your instructions. I do have a working desktop handy so I can make a cd for xPud

mille grazie

#9 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,189 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:50 AM

Build the xPUD CD as indicated and go throughout the instructions on Post #4.

btn_donate_SM.gif

#10 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,189 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:23 AM

Due to the lack of feedback this Topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!

btn_donate_SM.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users