Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Extensa 4620z

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dayzmae

dayzmae

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:45 PM

Hi..
I got this computer here and it has a problem. Basically the only thing that happens when i hit the power button is the screen comes on and is just white. There is activity from the hard drive, like it may or may not be starting up, but if it is i cant say how far it is getting. The only response i get from any keypresses is when I hit fn+F6. I assume this is what would be pressed to switch to an external display. But it only seems to turn the display off, then it comes back on and white again when i press any other key after that. My monitor wont recognize that i have it plugged in to it.

The only thing i really know about it is that it must have needed a new hard drive, that was 2 years ago. It has Vista reloaded on it, I am assuming from the recovery disks and was Vista Home Basic 32bit. Also it does have 2g of matching RAM in it.

I have done everything short of taking it completely apart, which I can do if I have hopes that I can fix it.

Any ideas on causes and solutions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:31 AM

Have you tried hooking it up to a external monitor yet?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 dayzmae

dayzmae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:23 AM

yup tried that

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:04 AM

Im guessing it is a bad video card/motherboard, Acer Laptops are notorious for that, I would certanly, try the hard drive in another system to be sure its not that, but I would say very high chance that you will need to either replace the motherboard (you would have to find a working used motherboard for that exact same model laptop used off of someplace like ebay) or purchase a new laptop. I Could be mistaken, but in my experience it sounds like the video chipset built into the motherboard of your laptop is toast.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 dayzmae

dayzmae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:21 AM

Yea that is what I am thinking also. Thanks for the opinion :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users