Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

avg anti-virus 2011

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 greybelt

greybelt

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:13 PM

Avg Anti-virus 2011 is no good 2 use even though it's 1 of your choices on
your pc from windows. I have windows vista by the way.

Edit: Moved topic from Vista to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by greybelt, 29 January 2011 - 10:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:40 PM

If you're asking for my personal opinion, I don't recommend it.

Looking for something else, free?
- Avast! free antivirus: http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html
- Avira free antivirus: http://www.free-av.com/en/download/1/avira_antivir_personal__free_antivirus.html

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:50 PM

With the release of AVG 2011, there have been numerous complaints about issues and conflicts with other security tools like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Unlike previous versions, AVG 2011 cannot be effectively disabled to prevent it from interfering with other security tools...after restarting the computer, AVG re-enables all protections. Read these related discussions:There have been reports of issues with the computer starting properly on 64-bit Windows sytems for which AVG has had to release these fix instructions.

There have also been reported problems with computers after using new features like PC Analyzer and PC Tuneup which purport to fix registry errors in order to make the system more stable and various optimizing tools which can make changes to system settings.

I do not recommend the routine use of registry cleaners/optimizers as they are extremely powerful applications that can damage the Windows registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from booting properly. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Even MajorGeeks, a popular download hosting site, has issued a Statement on AVG Free 2011 and has removed its Editor's Pick listing.

For these reasons, I no longer recommend AVG as a free alternative.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 pachm

pachm

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:19 PM

I have switched from AVG to MSE and malwarebytes, Both great and free my reason is that AVG is not friendly with win7 from what i can see

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users