Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Battlefield 2 Problem After Hard Drive Format

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 LUGERLOBBER

LUGERLOBBER

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 13 December 2005 - 10:07 PM

Had to format my hard drives. I reinstalled everything, went to play BF2 at the same settings and had massive stuttering. SO bad I could barely move. I searched through numerous BF2 boards and tried everything suggested but still stuttering. I have Windows 2000, no firewall, no anit-virus (had norton but delted it hoping it was the problem) 2 gig RAM, 2.4 ghz P4 and Radeon 9800 pro. I was running the game on the 2nd to highest resolution with Terrain and Textures on high before with no problems. I cannot do that now without the stuttering. I have tried the new Cat 5.12 drivers and the new Omega drivers. I have re- installed and re- installed. I have gone back to old Cat drivers and same thing. I am getting this stuttering even on single player. I have updated PB too. I am clueless as to what to do at this point. Oh and this happes on regular BF and the new Special Forces expansion with and without patches. I have lowered the latency, checked motherboard, video, and audio drivers and still stuttering where it wasn't before the format. Any suggestions???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LUGERLOBBER

LUGERLOBBER
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2005 - 02:11 PM

Anyone? Help?

#3 welco

welco

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 15 December 2005 - 01:18 AM

Does it do this on just Battlefield or other games too?
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
1GB GeIL Value Memory Looking for something better...
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

#4 LUGERLOBBER

LUGERLOBBER
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2005 - 02:30 PM

Just BF2. I am about ready to give up and go play solitare!

#5 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2005 - 05:02 PM

Could it possibly be a program that wasn't there before you reformatted that is causing it? If that might be a plausable cause, you could probably try minimizing the game bring up the task manager and see what programs could possibly be causing a problem.

I had a something that would spike my cpu usage after I reformatted and I had to manually find and get rid of the file.

#6 LUGERLOBBER

LUGERLOBBER
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2005 - 01:30 PM

Tried that and there wasn't anything else using very much memory other than the game. The gaming gods hate me and have put a curse on my puter. That is what happened.

#7 chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2005 - 07:19 PM

Do you have a sound card or onboard sound, sometimes the sound card will share a IRQ with the video card and cause a clash. If you have a sound card try uninstalling the drivers and moving the card to another PCI slot, then re-install the drivers.
It could also be the video card drivers, when you updated the drivers did you first clean out the old ones with "driver cleaner pro" or did you just install over the top of the old ones?

Try moving the sound card first, then go HERE and follow the directions, just change nvidia to ATI in driver cleaner.

#8 LUGERLOBBER

LUGERLOBBER
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2005 - 12:24 AM

Awesome, I'll try that. Thanks.

#9 LUGERLOBBER

LUGERLOBBER
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2005 - 10:51 AM

Well, I figured out what my problem was. I started playing a very old, non-memory intensive game and was having issues with it. Realized that it has to be something with my computer. Took computer apart to switch out the sound card like you suggested. Took a look at my motherboard fan and it had seized up. Replaced that and everything is running great now!!! :thumbsup:

#10 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2005 - 10:56 AM

lol congrats!

See you on the battlefield!

(64 player Karkand ROCKS!)

#11 chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi