Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS can not see IDE HD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jeflet

jeflet

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:04 PM

I have just bought the Asus M4A78LT-M LE motherbord and installed an Athlon II x3 processor and 4 gigs of RAM.
It POSTs with one quick beep, the monitor showa the BIOS screen when I hit delete and I can run MEM TEST off a bootable (SATA) CD. The BIOS does not find the IDE (PATA) HD. It finds the SATA CD ROM OK but will also not find a PATA CD ROM.

As basic functions seem to work OK (CPU, RAM, monitor) the problem seems focused in the IDE system. I have tried 2 IDE 80 wire connectors in 3 different HDs which are known to work, as well as the CD ROM. None appear in the BIOS screen as found.

Some forums talk of activating the IDE slot (as the machine is set up for SATA) but I can find no way of doing this and since the BIOS reports the IDE as absent I guess it is looking for it already.

Is this a bad MB or is there a trick to get this thing working.

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:20 PM

Are you entirely certain the hard drive is working, and the IDE cables are properly set in there? I do that a lot-push in the IDE ribbon but dont get one end in all the way into the hard drive. Drives me crazy until I double check it.

Edited by the_patriot09, 29 January 2011 - 09:21 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:31 PM

Are you entirely certain the hard drive is working, and the IDE cables are properly set in there? I do that a lot-push in the IDE ribbon but dont get one end in all the way into the hard drive. Drives me crazy until I double check it.

Or possible jumper setting?

#4 jeflet

jeflet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:20 PM

The cables are solidly in and I don't think there are any jumpers. I can see no reference to them in the manual or eveidence of them on the board. Does anyone know of physical jumpers for this board?

thanks

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:25 PM

Sorry. Was speaking of jumpers on the IDE drives.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:22 PM

ThunderZ is correct-the jumpers will be on the hard drive itself, usually next to the power connection, and there should be markings somewhere on the drive telling which setting is master, slave, or cable select. for a single IDE drive it should be set to master or cable select.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#7 jeflet

jeflet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:14 PM

The jumper was at CS originally and I moved it to master to see if that helped (it didn't)

Another interesting observation:
I have benn running Windows Memory Diagnostic for 24 hours now (2 twelve hour sessions) I have 2 RAM slots and 2 x 2G sticks of RAM. I have switched the RAM over after twelve hours. My test results after 128 passes (first 12 hours) reveals 4 errors always with the LRAND test. With the RAM in one way round the error is at 989df658. With the RAM positions switched the error is at 989df618. The error is always a mis-read of the third digit from the right. Is it common to have rare memory errors? Does the CPU (or something else) flag them to stop that part of memory being used? Doesthe similarity of the memory location where the error occurs imply the motherboard is defective rather than the RAM?

thanks for our thoughts

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:49 PM

in my experience you shouldnt have any errors I would suspect one of your ram sticks may be bad try running memtest on each stick individually and see what happens then

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users