Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need major help with changing from Win XP to Win 7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lsusuperstar

lsusuperstar

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:14 PM

So here is the story:

I had Win XP on my desktop and wanted to upgrade to a copy of Win 7 that I was able to get through school. I got an external hard drive and backed up all my important data. I burned a Win 7 disc from an iso. When I tried to run it from Win XP, I got an error that there wasn't enough room to make a new partition on my hard drive (it was just a single partition made when XP was installed). So I tried to restart and boot from the disc, but after I told it to boot from cd/dvd drive, the computer would just sit there with a black screen. Then I made a huge mistake and deleted the existing partition from inside administrative tools in the control panel. Now I get a BSOD when it tries to load Win XP and just sits there with a black screen when it tries to boot from the Win 7 install disc. I hope I was clear enough about my troubles. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:45 PM

"a copy of Win 7 that I was able to get through school" + "I burned a Win 7 disc from an iso"
It doesn't look like a legit Windows DVD to me....

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 lsusuperstar

lsusuperstar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:41 AM

We can download a copy of Win 7 as an .iso from the university for free. Then burn it to disc to use it. It is legit and not the problem.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:38 AM

In that case...

When I tried to run it from Win XP, I got an error that there wasn't enough room to make a new partition on my hard drive

You can't do this.
You have to perform clean installation of Windows 7 by booting from Win 7 DVD.
Manual: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/windows-7-clean-install-part-1.htm

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 lsusuperstar

lsusuperstar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:25 PM

Thanks for the help. I burned another copy of the Win 7 install disc and that worked.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:26 PM

Cool beans :)

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users