Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pls help me get my d:\ and e:\ drives back

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 aeon flux

aeon flux

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 21 October 2004 - 02:15 AM

Hello, pls help me if u can any info would rock :thumbsup:

I sat down to do some homework @ 8pm it's now 3am and I have learned a lot about computers and not homework :flowers: here's what happend,

I went to insert a disk to bring up one of my study modules (cd rom)
an error came up : internal error main_w, 150
I looked that up on the net and someone else had that and they had a virus,
I did a house call scan and sure enough I found a whole bunch of trojan viruses,
I looked at my task manager and deleted some processes.....then i tried scanned again and used the delete prompt there and got rid of the infected files except for 2 which were IN USE so I tried my cd again and this time it wouldn't even read it and the bottom one (e:\) won't open anymore and when i go to MY COMPUTER it no longer lists those drives so.......

I looked up the viruses found this website got some advice (read my other post) and I got rid of everything, so i rebooted and then I still have no d:\ or e:\ drives

i read that i can do a tcpview scan and see if there is anything irregular there (by now I am at my wits with a saturated brain @ like 1 am)

so while i am looking at the status a new user highlighted in green with an address (which i didn't have time to copy) comes on and then it hilights red and just like that they are gone (was that a hacker?)

i just wanna do my homework sigh
anyideas
pls help
aeon ;)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 21 October 2004 - 07:49 AM

To start with you need to delete the viruses that are in use, (it is not good to use viruses) :thumbsup:
They are probably being used by the Restore Files, turn off System Restore and it will probably delete them.
http://vil.nai.com/vil/SystemHelpDocs/DisableSysRestore.htm

Run the House Call Scan again. Delete everything found.

Turn Systen Restore back on.

Now go to the Device Manager see if the Rom Drives are listed and are not functioning, Right click on them and click remove on both of them and then restart your puter and the OS will detect them and load the correct drivers.

Rom Drives are plug & play this is how they are removed & installed.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 21 October 2004 - 02:36 PM

Get yourself a resident Antivirus (such as the free version of AVG) download and update the definitions after you install the AV.
Run the application in Safe mode, with System Restore disabled.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users