Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gadgets either never open, or opens and then close

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ArtistInNeed

ArtistInNeed

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:50 PM

Yesterday I formatted my hard-drive and re-installed windows 7. The biggest problem I've been having is that the gadgets I'm used to and rely on won't boot at startup, and if they do they usually go away within 40 seconds, or I get lucky and they don't go away at all. I'm pretty sure there's no chance of this being caused by a virus as the only websites I had visited before I realized this problem were extremely trusted ones like Intel, Asus, and malwarebyte's website, and while I was waiting for things to install youtube. This machine has actually never had a virus on it (being only about a month and a half old)

I HAVE DISABLED ALL (non microsoft) STARUP SERVICES AND PROGRAMS(including my antivirus Microsoft Security Essentials) USING MSCONFIG, THE PROBLEM STILL PROCEEDS EVEN WHEN THE GADGETS ARE THE ONLY THING SCHEDULED TO START.

I've also found a couple error logs, but this happens even when this error doesn't appear.

Event ID :1000
Faulting application name: sidebar.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bc9e1
Faulting module name: sidebar.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bc9e1
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000030087
Faulting process id: 0x904
Faulting application start time: 0x01cbbffce91ebf12
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe
Report Id: 2879f4a8-2bf0-11e0-87e3-90e6ba1bade0

Here's what I've tried so far...
-UAC has been enabled and always was -Changing some registry entries (examples in links below)
-Uninstalling and re-installing windows gadget platform (examples in links below)
- I've tried this, http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7desktop/thread/19f73810-de08-4998-b74a-6b9018a1f973 -This, http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproui/thread/63d138c1-45d7-4a74-a04b-0fcb0b12de9e
-This, http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproui/thread/3520c769-fae0-46d6-8a3b-22bac34a10a3

I can manually start or restart the gadgets by right clicking my desktop and clicking the gadgets, it'll all come back by itself (at times in the top left corner instead of where I put it) I can also make a shortcut to "C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe" which will also open back up the gadgets. I've tried putting that into the startup folder, but the problems remained. Please, please anybody and everybody, I appreciate any and all help I just really need these gadgets to monitor my machine's performance easily. Thank you in advance!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ArtistInNeed

ArtistInNeed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:41 AM

Please delete this topic :)
I installed windows 7 again and it's working fine now.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:11 PM

Glad you resolved it, we don't ordinarily delete topics...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users