Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Password recovery

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cknox121

cknox121

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:14 PM

Hi there,

I changed my password about 3 weeks ago and hadn't turned off my computer until the other day. And now I can't remember it. Anyway to reset it without logging in?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 odin88

odin88

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:18 PM

Hi,
can you start up in safemode (f8) and log on with an admin account??? if so then you can remove the password for that account in the user accounts.
Iain.
our attitude toward life determins lifes attitude towards us.

#3 cknox121

cknox121
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:49 PM

No, I had some malware problems that I got rid of a while ago, but I am still getting a blue screen when booting safe mode.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:16 PM

No, I had some malware problems that I got rid of a while ago, but I am still getting a blue screen when booting safe mode.

Hi cknox121 -
Is your problem actually Blue Screen or Password - Your first question only asks for password help -
Do you actually need Blue screen help -

Thank You -

#5 odin88

odin88

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:29 PM

If you have access to another machine download this ....
http://pcsupport.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=pcsupport&cdn=compute&tm=32&gps=96_2308_1259_621&f=10&su=p284.9.336.ip_p504.1.336.ip_&tt=4&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//ophcrack.sourceforge.net/ ... choose the livecd version.

burn to disc using this iso burner... http://www.imgburn.com/ ... to create a bootable disc.

Orphcrack is an excellent free password cracker, this tool will show you ALL passwords that have been used on your machine.

Iain.

Edited by odin88, 30 January 2011 - 05:31 PM.

our attitude toward life determins lifes attitude towards us.

#6 cknox121

cknox121
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 06:33 PM

Thanks, I'll try that when I get home. To clarify the password is the issue, getting into safe mode is not plausible way to fix the password because of the blue screen. I suppose trying to fix the blue screen wouldn't hurt either. Should i make a new post or post the error message in here?

Edited by cknox121, 30 January 2011 - 06:34 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:56 PM

Probably best to initiate new thread with basic data (system manufacturer/model...BSOD content...suspicions concerning origin of problem, etc.).

You might also include on that post...whatever data the following procedures provide.

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html.

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When scanning is done, Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users