Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help me with DMA (PIO mode)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Andy1980

Andy1980

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:08 PM

I read somewhere that if your DVD player errors six times, XP automatically sets the Current Transfer Mode to PIO mode.
I think this is what happened as I remember hearing BIOS beep and the problem with choppy audio started and itís driving me mad. There is no problem when I play mp4 video from HDD or CD music so I donít think itís anything to do with audio driver. I cleaned the lens but it didn't make any difference. DVD pictures are OK so it just the movie audio that is affected and this is nothing to do with scratchy disc as I tested with the one that didnít have problem before. I guess I had this laptop for six years so thatís not a bad going since Iíve only come across this problem but I would like to fix it until I build my new PC.

Here is my set up in Device Manager

Primary IDE Channel
Device 0
Device Type: Auto Detection
Transfer Mode: DMA if available
Current Transfer Mode: Ultra DMA mode 5

Device 1
Current Transfer Mode: Not applicable

Primary IDE Channel (I believe this is the slave where my DVD/CD player is connected)
Device 0
Current Transfer Mode: PIO mode (greyed out grrrrr)

Device 1

Secondary IDE Channel
Device 0

Device 1

All the channels are sharing the same drivers which are
/system32/storprop.dll
/system32/drivers/atapi.sys

So if I uninstall the above drivers, all the channels will not work including HDD.
What steps do I need to take in order to uninstall/reinstall just DVD/CD player so that PIO mode will reset?
Is it as simple as opening up the back of the laptop, unplug the DVD/CD player then switch back on, then switch off to plug the DVD player back in and when I switch on again I re-install the drivers? Do I copy the two drivers and edit the location just for Primary IDE (slave) so that HDD still works? I donít know if this is the correct procedure. Please help me. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andy1980

Andy1980
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:55 PM

I found my own answer, the simple code reset my DMA so I hear no more clipping audio. The only thing is DVD freezes every 25 mins or so now and I think I need to change a buffer size or something. I don't know where to change this. Anyone have any idea where I change this or what it is?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users