Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tag based search for music (and DJs), (Web 2.0)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 golemus

golemus

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 04:24 PM

I have big difficulties for finding a solution for organizing my music collection in web2 way. I have been searching hours for solution without success. This is what I want to do.

- I listen to a MP3 tune with my player (whatever it is), while listening I decide attributes for describing the tune like "Psychedelic", "Atmospheric", "Dark".

- I listen to the next tune and again I describe it with attributes, e.g. "Psychedelic", "Minimal", "Uplifting"

- Then the next one, "Minimal", "House", "like Deadmau5", "like Radio Slave"

- next one, "Minimal", "Dark", "like Radio Slave"

So while listening I create metadata for my collection in the form of these tags.

After listening comes the most important part, search. I want to do tag based search, queries like:
- "Psychedelic" AND "Dark"
- "Minimal" AND NOT "Dark"
- "Minimal" AND NOT "like Deadmau5"
- "Psychedelic" OR "Minimal"

Do you know any Media Player, any web service or any other program that would support this kind of feature? The first that comes to your mind is last.fm but I did not find a way to do this and for me it seems that the emphasis of the service is different.

This kind of tagging you can find for example from GMail, Google Bookmarks, Evernote, Delicious, maybe some photo organizing programs or internet services, but how about music?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 07:12 PM

As long as your music is tagged, MediaMonkey will do what you want.
You can search your music based on:
Artist
Composer
Album
Genre
Year
Rating
Classification:
*Tempo
*Mood
*Occasion
*Quality
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 golemus

golemus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:09 AM

What I think is also important is the mobility of this metadata. It would be nice so that your tagged metadata is synchronized to web (like XMarks) so that you can synchronize the same metadata to your laptop collection or not having to be afraid of losing it. I don't think it is the best implementation to save this kind of metadata into MP3 ID tags or what do you think? For me it seems that the search could be implemented more efficient if the metadata was in separate file or structure? I mean you don't want to do hours and hours of tagging/keyword work if you are not sure of the continuity of that knowledge. And maybe you don't want to export all of it publicly to internet, because your system of organizing your tunes might be your core knowledge.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:29 PM

Sorry golemus, but I'm not familiar with what you are trying to accomplish, so I probably won't be of much help.
I use MediaMonkey simply to tag, and organize my music collection.
Music is tagged as I add it to my collection, so I don't have to worry about having to go back and tag everything.
As far as losing anything, all of my data is backed up to multiple sources, weekly, so I don't worry too much about that.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users