Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to isolate networks?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BMXRcr

BMXRcr

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:46 PM

My house has on internet feed and my sister won't stop with the P2P stuff and infected us all. Can you use a switch and connect 2 routers to it to completely isolate these networks? I'm new to this and was trying to find some info on switches if anyone has some good references (not sure what managed, unmanaged and Smart switches are)? Or if there's another way please point me in the right direction! Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MBakerNH

MBakerNH

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:01 PM

You could use two routers. Depending on the modem, it may even allow two networks joining it, but more likely you will have to have one router be the head-in, while the other is subordinate to it. This strikes me as the most likely scenario to work, but there are questions that come to mind immediately. For example, how does your sister connect? If it is a Wi-Fi connection, it will be difficult to completely harden both routers to the point where only certain machines can get on one, and not the other. You could make MAC address restrictions, I suppose, but you will need to inventory every IP device in the house - iPods, televison gear, routers, PCs, etc. Another question - will she need to print to a printer on the non-sister network? If you go this route, here is Cisco's way of doing this with retail Linksys routers.

There are switches which act as routers by making VLANs, but to do that AND harden them correctly would be beyond the scope of someone "new to this."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users