Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble building (connecting)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Zinus

Zinus

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:36 PM

I bought a roswill Thor case and a gygabyte p67 motherboard; I have a lot of cables that I do not understand. I have looked through both manuals and neither says much about them, they control the buttons on the front of the case is all I really know.

Here is a list of their labels:
FAN A1
FAN A2
FAN A3
FAN B1
FAN B2
FAN B3
VCC/USB-/USB+/GND
as well as two cords that have no label but are engraved with "TKG"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zinus

Zinus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 04:25 PM

Found out that the FAN connectors were for the fan speed controllers on the front; however, I can not find a slot on my motherboard for them. Am I to assume this means that it is unable to use this feature of my case?

Also have a question about the PWR_FAN pins, is this supposed to be some sort of power supply point for the fans or just a place for the fans to connect?

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:09 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I am going to link you to the GigaByte support web site for your computer.

http://www.gigabyte.bz/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3648&dl=1#ov

I am providing a link to a PDF version of your motherboard owners manual, you can save this to your desktop once it is fully downloaded.

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-p67a-ud4_e.pdf

The connectors you mentioned above I would assume are part of the PSU wiring and these are connectors for powering up various case fans which require a direct connection to the PSU rather than the motherboard.

I have a link for you which should help you out a bit with connectors found on PSU and what they are for.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html

Please let me know if this has cleared up the mystery for you.

As for the VCC/USB-/USB+/GND connector, is this one coming from the PSU or are you referring to a connector on the motherboard?

The VCC/USB-/USB+/GND is USB power related, VCC is system MAIN Positive (+) from power supply, USB- is Negative power supply. USB+ is positive (+) from power supply. GND is system or chassis ground.

I know those sound confusing, but VCC is a special symbol for the positive phase that is coming directly from a power supply down-step transformer.

Beyond that, it might get to technical if you do not have a basic understanding of electronics theory.

Bruce.

Note: I tried to reply but they moved your topic to another forum section before I could hit the send button.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 Zinus

Zinus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:32 PM

The VCC/USB-/USB+/GND is a single cable that is coming from the case itself; it is not a slot on the motherboard nor on my PSU. I can not find out where this is supposed to go from any of my owners manuals nor the web.

Edit: your correct the FAN A1-B3 are for manual control over the fan speed via a nob on the front of the case; however, there is not a slot on my motherboard that will take the male connector.

Edited by Zinus, 29 January 2011 - 05:40 PM.

#5 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:58 PM

The vcc/usb/gnd cabling should be the hook up for one of the two different usb ports on the front of the case. The case has both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 on the front of the case there should be a cable for each since the connector is different. According to what you are saying it is most likely the USB 2.0. Look on page 28 of your manual. VCC is the Power (5v), Gnd is ground, and the usb+/- go in the respective places. There should be three of everything because you have three front mounted ports on the case. Each USB header supports two ports so you will only be using half of one of the headers.

Typically the fan speed controls have one or two Molex connections on the back of the controller that powers the fans you connect to it. Peek up there with a flashlight to look for some connectors on the back or underside.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#6 Zinus

Zinus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:59 AM

The vcc/usb/gnd cabling should be the hook up for one of the two different usb ports on the front of the case. The case has both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 on the front of the case there should be a cable for each since the connector is different. According to what you are saying it is most likely the USB 2.0. Look on page 28 of your manual. VCC is the Power (5v), Gnd is ground, and the usb+/- go in the respective places. There should be three of everything because you have three front mounted ports on the case. Each USB header supports two ports so you will only be using half of one of the headers.

Typically the fan speed controls have one or two Molex connections on the back of the controller that powers the fans you connect to it. Peek up there with a flashlight to look for some connectors on the back or underside.

All three F_USBs on the Motherboard are 9 pronged males (4 on top row 5 on bottom)and the connector running from my case is a 4 pronged female(VCC/USB/GND). I am not sure how I should be placing it, espically since it doesn't even look like it should be put there. Also there is only one VCC/USB/GND cable, and only one USB cable that I already have pluged into F_USB1.

You may have to rephrase that second bit, it didn't make any sense to me at all.

Edited by Zinus, 30 January 2011 - 01:00 AM.

#7 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:02 AM

First, none of the fan power (apart from the CPU fan) comes from the motherboard. The fan controller pulls juice from the power supply directly. Never run any case fan from the motherboard unless you have to.

All USB connectors are 4 wires per port. Each connector on the motherboard is able to have 2 ports/connector. Not to be rude, but you have a manual that came with the motherboard and all pins are labelled. It's not that big a deal. Your case's USB connector is marked (or should be), your owners manual has a pin diagram, that's it.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#8 Zinus

Zinus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:05 PM

Yeah I figured out that you plug FAN A1-B3 into the actual fan and the unmarked plugs were power for the fans. I also found out where the VCC/USB/GND wire went; thanks for attempting to help guys.

P.S. The manual didn't make any sense the diagram didn't label the pins it just had two numbers beside it like I am supposed to know what the heck that means. Also even if I did know it had multiple pins labeled with the same thing with DX and DY infront of them, again how am I supposed to know... sorry just kinda stupid that they couldn't make it easier. (I blaim the Thor manual, not my giga)

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:48 PM

Yeah, Rosewell is usually lacking clear instruction in their manuals.
I've experienced the same with some of their products.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 04:00 PM

Yeah, Rosewell is usually lacking clear instruction in their manuals.
I've experienced the same with some of their products.

They aren't the only ones sadly.

I have a no name case here that was built in the early days of USB when the pin layouts weren't standardized. Each case USB connector wire has a tiny single pin connector with really bad printing on it. I admit there is no way I could even see to build it again the way my eyes have aged in the last ten years.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#11 Zinus

Zinus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 06:28 PM

Next is BIOS... yay...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users