Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 louhardt

louhardt

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 07:35 AM

Has this "temporary file needed" probably ever get solved? I have just been confronted with it and hve run chkdsk,(duh) sfc, removed SP3 and the thing went haywire. Reinstalled via safe mode - prior to SP3 removal Safe Mode was only usable mode - after SP3 reinstallation system restore calendar was gone - got that back. I have now removed SP3 AND IE8, takes me back so SP1 so last night I reinstalled PS2. Will see what happens but was looking for that "next step if".

Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 29 January 2011 - 01:34 PM.
Split from topic dealing with 16-bit problems in 32-bit XP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:19 PM

Welcome aboard Posted Image

Has this "temporary file needed" probably ever get solved?

We need more info.
I'm not sure, what you're referring to.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 louhardt

louhardt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:55 PM

It was so vague because it was moved without the portion of the earlier thread that somewhat explained it. So, here goes again.
Windows XP Pro. One user is Admin. rights with password, second user is no password, restricted. All has been lovely and fine with program, Jetform Form Filler. Suddenly the "16 bit Windows Subsystem" window appears with the statement "C:\docume~1\Pat\Locals~1\Temp\. A temp file needed for initialization could not be created or could not be written to. Make sure that the directory path exists, and disk space is available. Choose close to terminate the application." Close and Ignore both result in Close.

If I change the account type the program runs fine so obviously there is disk space and the path does exist and is correct.

I created a new account with restrictions and same thing. Change the account type and happiness.

This may be a hint. Between the two users with restrictions, when the path appears in the 16 bit window, the path is Docume~1\USER THAT IS LOGGED ON\Locals~1\temp\.

Of course, with the Administrator that works fine I have not really good way of seeing what path it is attempting to address but I know that even though the only thing I change is the account type, the program runs fine if I do change the account type.

I am sure it is simple. I am.

I have seen many posts having to do with this that resulted right after the update to SP3. I have a repair shop. I know the headaches that come up with SP3 is not fully installed or correctly installed. I even generally know how to remove SP3 and do it correctly. I don't understand why this has been running fine for a few months and now decides not to. I am going to continue to remove updates and reinstall correctly but if you folks have a clue that would sure be helpful.

No hardware has been changed. AMD Athlon - but as I have stated, has run for a few months and then BAM!
Thanks for being patient.

Edited by louhardt, 29 January 2011 - 05:57 PM.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 06:05 PM

Let's clarify....
Does the "16 bit Windows Subsystem" error pops up right when you try to open/run Jetform Form Filler?
What is that program for, btw?

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users