Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there an easy way to determine and point out the offending driver when there are BSODs that mention a driver is to blame, so I can uninstall it?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 andrewset

andrewset

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:47 AM

Is there an easy way to determine and point out the offending driver when there are BSODs that mention a driver is to blame, so I can uninstall it? The BSODs all say "DRIVER_IRQL_ (less or not equal to, something like that)" and this is after just reinstalling Win XP on my laptop, so one or more of the many drivers I installed must be to blame. I'm looking for a way to pin-point the problem driver(s), not roll back and carefully install only what I need.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Marthin Vess

Marthin Vess

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:14 AM

Restart your computer and rapidly press F8. it should present you a blue screen with a few choices. Choose the first one and then again rapidly press F8. It should give you many options, choose start in safe mode. Then, at Start choose Control panel and open admin tools. Choose computer managament. Open device manager, and select the device which has ! mark next to it, and uninstall it. It should work then.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:43 AM

There is an easier way to get to the Device Manager. Go to Start> Run, type in mmc devmgmt.msc then click OK. Errors will appear as either a red X or a yellow question mark. If you find an error you can right click on the device, choose Properties, Driver and uninstall the driver. When you restart the Installation Wizard will recognize new hardware and will install the appropriate driver. This is only true if the driver is native to the operating system.

If this isn't a native driver then we need to look elsewhere to find out which one is at fault.

Please download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Edited by dc3, 29 January 2011 - 09:44 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Marthin Vess

Marthin Vess

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:44 AM

dc3, for my blue screen view there is no scan option, and when I choose advanced tools, it shows me the place where to look is minidump. I dont have such a folder. Can you help please?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:08 AM

dc3, for my blue screen view there is no scan option, and when I choose advanced tools, it shows me the place where to look is minidump. I dont have such a folder. Can you help please?

You already have a topic open regarding this. Please don't post your questions regarding this in this topic.

I appreciate your cooperation. :thumbup2:

dc3

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users