Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My programs won't run

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ScottRecinos

ScottRecinos

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 07:29 AM

When I try to launch any program on my lap top, the hour displays (sometimes for hours) but the programs don't launch. This includes internet explorer, itunes, google chrome, etc. When I check windows task manager, no applications are shown to be running. This has been happening for several weeks now. When I do a ctr-alt-delete and force a computer shutdown, the explorer.exe doesn't close properly and I have to "end" the program.

On a couple of occasions, "Sysfader not responding" has eventually shown up in the applications tab and when I end it, my programs will then run. However, it is rare when the "sysfader not responding" shows up in the applications tab and I can never find the the file running when I look for it in the processes tab.

Because no programs will run, I'm also unable to run Malwarebytes or Defender.

Thanks in advance for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Shadow Bird

Shadow Bird

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:09 AM

First off, hello!

Okay, so first, explorer.exe. Are you running any shell themes or modifications that could possibly be messing with explorer.exe?

Now, for your programs not running. If I were you, I'd try running a System Restore to a few days before the date that this was happening. Now, I know your programs aren't launching, so I'd suggest doing it (albeit tediously) a few times and waiting for the rare "sysfader is not responding" error. Once you can run the System Restore, again, find a date a few days BEFORE this was happening, and restore to it. A System Restore will not delete any documents, music, other files, etc, but it will attempt to correct any funky settings, and, to my knowledge, wipe the registry of anything that wasn't there before the date you selected (so basically, I hope you havn't installed any new programs during the period you've gotten these errors.)

#3 ScottRecinos

ScottRecinos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:19 AM

Thanks for your suggestions. What are shell themes?

#4 ScottRecinos

ScottRecinos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:26 PM

I'm unable to restore to a date that precedes my problems. Windows goes through the entire restore process and then ends with a message saying nothing was changed b/c the system couldn't be restored for the date designated. I can restore to a date after the problems began.

Computer works fine if/when the sysfader.exe not responding program is ended. The challenge is getting the "sysfader.exe to not respond so it shows up on the application list. Multiple re-boots required to generate condition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users