Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Msn Messenger (error Code 80048820) And Internet Explorer Help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ajay A

Ajay A

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 13 December 2005 - 07:39 PM

hi. this is ajay here.

i am experiencing some problem with my msn messenger. it doesn't sign in and shows the error code 80048820.

i clicked on troubleshoot and it showed me the error that the default gateway appears to be offline. i went through the process of 'repair' and cliked on 'look up the error code at msn messenger help site'.

there then they asked me to go through the steps that they had mentioned and check if every option was perfect. i went through the steps and everything was as it is, and the help site wasn't of any help.

apart from signing into msn, i discovered that i am not able to log into hotmail account through hotmail.com and neither am i able to log into yahoo.com account. but yes i am able to use the yahoo messenger.

i checked up the firewalls and all, and nothing seems to have blocked the program from running normally.

therefore, pls help me recover internet explorer and msn messenger, along with my email account log ins.

thanx a lot in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:16 PM

Have you ran any Virus/Spyware scans?

Run these online virus scanners:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Also this online Trojan scanner:
TrojanScan

Are you using these basic security programs?
(They're all free.)
aČ free
ewido security suite
Ad-Aware
Spybot S&D

These 2, will help prevent spyware/malware from being installed in the first place:
Spywareblaster
SpywareGuard

Download them, update them, and then run them.
These programs, updated and used regularly, will do a lot to keep your computer clean of spyware, trojans, keyloggers, browser hijackers, etc...

When installing ewido security suite, under Additional Options uncheck:
Install background guard
Install scan via context menu

Important:
Please read this tutorial on Spybot S&D before using it. Spybot can do SERIOUS damage, if not used properly.

Other useful Tutorials:
Using Ad-Aware SE
Using SpywareBlaster
Using SpywareGuard
Using Ewido
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Ajay A

Ajay A
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 14 December 2005 - 01:24 PM

hey there.

i went through all the scans and ran all the softwares that you had mentioned, but nothing worked because everything seemed fine. there were a few infections discovered in my comp but they were all minute ones.

is there anything else that u can suggest :thumbsup:

i really need to get it working as i am not able to access my mail accounts from my comp.

thank you very much for your help though and pls do let me know if there is anything more that i would require to do...

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 14 December 2005 - 02:45 PM

Are these all Secure sites?
https://, as opposed to http://
If so, see if either of these 2 links are of any help:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34712.html
Internet Explorer Cannot Connect to Secure Sites

Are these the only sites giving you problems?
Can you access other sites?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Jake.BRAdy

Jake.BRAdy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 05 January 2006 - 08:24 PM

Hey,

You have the same problem as i have. 2 years ago it was, I was on Msn and a guy that i knew in school " did'nt know really well" sent me an 'Autominer" you use this for Runescape, but i didnt know that, and most of them have Virus's. SO i opened it and all of a sudden, all the programmes shut down, And i couldn't access My Hotmail, MSN Messenger, Ebay ( buy o sell stuff), Make new Accounts or anything, Itsbeen like this for the last 2 years, And the worst thing about this virus, wa that it Turned my Norton ANtivirus off, I had a subscription but it ran out. Anyway, I used 2 have another error code that came up, but recentlyi got given a programme callled "Adware" it hasn't fixed it yet, but i have the same problem. Cheers,

#6 Sjoerd-

Sjoerd-

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 18 January 2006 - 09:25 PM

Removing Norton AntiVirus will most likely fix your problem.

Also see: error code 80048820

#7 wario192

wario192

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 02 March 2006 - 11:14 AM

Hi ime kinder new but ure prob is the same as mine and i think i know the anser and (removing notan atiy virus definatly wont work) scan the comp with nortan anti virus and some of the viruses it detects cant be removed (same with adwear i think) you will have to remove them by finding them with a seach and removing them (u prob want 2 make a copy of it and rename it 1st to see if that works first) then removing them to the trash (carfull bout what you delete first such as any windows files) if that dosent work you sould reinstall msn or contact their suport team :thumbsup:

Edited by wario192, 02 March 2006 - 11:27 AM.

Posted Image
if at first you dont sucseed skiy diving isent your thing

#8 smsaleem

smsaleem

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 16 September 2006 - 08:52 PM

Correct time setting solved my problem

#9 syba

syba

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 26 July 2008 - 11:16 AM

I think you should try to make another account at msn with domain live.com and make sure that your proxy at internet explorer not use a proxy to connect internet.
:trumpet:

:inlove:
:thumbsup:

If u set a proxy at internet explorer u should set ur proxy at msn messenger too.

:flowers:

Let's try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users