Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constant alert of High CPU usage

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Amylogamy

Amylogamy

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:19 AM

Hi,

I have Norton 2010 Internet Security that constantly alerts me of High CPU usage. When I am using Firefox, Goggle Earth, Disk Cleanup etc. This annoying message comes up. I have done some research on the subject and there are many answers. Could be a Virus, could be I need a Video Card, I need a new computer. A few months ago I was having the alert of low Virtual memory and I adjusted that by changing the page file allowance. Now is the CPU usage. I just want o make sure that I don't have a virus. I scan everyday with Norton. I have Malwarewbytes which I run o or once twice a week. I also have Spybot Search and Destroy that I also run once or twice a week. They don't find anything major.

I have a 6 year old Dell Dimension 2400 with and integrated Intel 3D AGP Video card. Pentium ® 4 CPU 2.66ghz. 80 GB Hard disk with 44.8 free space. 1 GB of Ram. Windows XP pack 3. With all the Microsoft updates. I do a Disk Cleanup and a Disk Difragment everyday after I am finished working in the computer.

Could you please give me some suggestions of what to do? I mainly use the computer for searching in the internet, ordering things etc. No gaming or anything major.
I would appreciate your help.

Amy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Moby Purple

Moby Purple

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:36 AM

You need to determine if there is indeed high CPU usage and what is causing it. The next time you get the message, don't close anything that is running. Right click on the Task Bar and choose Start Task Manager. Select the Processes tab. Then click on Show Processes from All Users. Look at the bottom and see what % the CPU usage is showing. Then look at the CPU column and determine which process(es) are using the most. You can click on CPU at the top of the column a couple of times, and it will put the most used processes at the top so you can more easily follow them.

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:16 PM

To make it easier....

Download Process Explorer: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx
Unzip ProcessExplorer.zip, and double click on procexp.exe to run the program.
Click on View > Select Colunms.
In addition to already pre-selected options, make sure, the Command Line is selected, and press OK.
Go File>Save As, and save the report as Procexp.txt.
Attach the file to your next reply.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 Amylogamy

Amylogamy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:21 PM

Hi Broni,

Here is the result from the Process Explorer. I have Firefox open and I am doing a Norton Scan at the same time and the Windows Task Manager shows right now as I am writing to you 100% CPU usage by Norton going up and down. It is like a fight to see which process can win. Anyway I hope the results helps.

Thanks,
Amy

Edited by Amylogamy, 29 January 2011 - 03:27 PM.

#5 Amylogamy

Amylogamy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:24 PM

Hi Broni,

Here is the result from the Process Explorer. I messed up the first time.Attached File  Procexp.txt   6.69KB   5 downloads

Edited by Amylogamy, 29 January 2011 - 03:27 PM.

#6 Amylogamy

Amylogamy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:26 PM

Hi Broni,

Here is the result from the Process Explorer. I messed up the first time.Attached File  Procexp.txt   6.69KB   5 downloads

Edited by Amylogamy, 29 January 2011 - 03:28 PM.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:57 PM

Well, what I can see is System Idle Process (CPU NOT used) at 73.85% and Norton at 23.08%.
When you ran PE, were you actually scanning with Norton?
If so, that may be taking some resources.
Norton is rather heavy user.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#8 Moby Purple

Moby Purple

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 07:50 PM

Amy, Norton should definitely not be running at 23% unless it is in the process of running a scan. You say you have the 2010 version of NIS. Open Norton, click on Support, then New Version Check. Download and install the 2011 version. If your subscription is paid up, it won't cost you anything. Once you have the new version installed, reboot, and see if that helps.

#9 Amylogamy

Amylogamy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:16 AM

Hi Broni,

I don't remember if I was scanning with Norton when I did the Process Explorer. The thing is that sometimes I would have all of the browsers closed and just be doing a Disk Cleanup and the message of High CPU usage comes up saying the that Disk Cleanup is using too much CPU. Sometimes if I am using Firefox and decide to open Goggle Earth at the same time to cross reference an address then one of the programs would get slow and the High CPU usage message would come up. By the way, the messages come from Norton because it is new feature of the Norton Internet Security 2011. It also would tell you which program is the culprit, that is why I always know who is causing the problem. Sometimes just for fun like I am doing now, I have the Windows Task Manager open and I watch it. At this moment everything is OK because I am only using Firefox.

So the question still remains. Would it help if I would get a PCI video card? I don't want to spend the money on a video card if it is not going to help. You don't think I might a virus that Norton is not picking up?

I also just looked at my records and I have Norton Internet Security 2011 not 2010. I just saw another reply to my post suggesting to upgrade to 2011 but that is what I have.

Anyway thank you all for your help so far.

Amy

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:28 AM

Well, it's hard to comment, if we don't have any hard evidence.
Let's do this...
Next time, you got a warning from Norton, take a note, what exactly you're doing, fire up PE and post fresh log.

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users