Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Lost Files/Missing JPEGs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sirpngnsa

sirpngnsa

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:51 AM

I cant be positive that this is solely a Windows 7 issue, considering that files can get lost all the time on any system but, just recently, a good majority of my jpeg picture files have randomly disappeared. There are a few folders that are still in the usual place (Pictures Folder). As for the missing folders, they would appear after I use the computer search, however, when I try to open them, I get a pop-up that states that the shortcut has been modified/moved and my only option is whether or not I want to delete it. I looked under Recent Docs and the missing files show up; the latest one thats been modified was earlier this month when it was still accessible. I've even tried a system restore (from before the modification dates) and the Unerasure program, which I found out the hard way is a total sham. Is there any way to recover these? I really don't want to lose a chunk of nostalgia. :-(

PS: I also have the Toshiba Satellite L505 Series.

Edited by sirpngnsa, 29 January 2011 - 01:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:35 AM

Go to Start and enter jpeg in the search box.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 sirpngnsa

sirpngnsa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 04:34 PM

Thanks for the hint. I tried looking with the search box but only the already accessible files showed up, not the missing ones.

So, instead, I went back to Recent Docs, right-clicked on each of the folders and perused through its Properties. Some did not open anything further than the Shortcuts tab, stating the same message about it being moved, etc and the delete option. Luckily, one of the folders had all the tabs available so I clicked on Previous Versions, which gave me a back-up restore option. (I opened the folder from its restore points to see if I was looking through the right stuff.) Went through the folders a second time and somehow I located all the missing jpegs. Now this is the part I'm trying to figure out:

When I opened the file location under the Shortcuts tab, in the Target box, it read, for example: "\\localhost\C$\@GMT-2011.01.26-03.28.14\Users\The Fever\Pictures\2010-07-04 Everio HD", instead of what I figured it should be under, i.e. "The Fever\Pictures\2010-07-04 Everio HD" (which didnt open).

I'm not sure if this was the right move, but I copied the files back into the Pictures folder (where they shouldve been originally) as a backup in case the Restore didnt work. I suspect that a virus has leaked into my system somehow and it relocated my files. I dont know what it is and I already have AVG 2011, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, rkill, and TDSSKiller. Is there any way to get rid of this bug so it doesnt hide my files again?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users