Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Good Is Norton

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 slb1952

slb1952

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 13 December 2005 - 06:56 PM

Hi
I use Norton and update regularly, but found that I had virus and other icky stuff on my comp. Should I be using something else? My Norton is up for renewal. Used ewido to clear some of my problems. What do you think.
Thanks.
S

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,502 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2005 - 07:01 PM

Ewido is not a replacement of norton, but rather in addition to. Personally I like avg free antivirus.

#3 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 14 December 2005 - 10:42 AM

Norton Anti virus is not that good. Virii writers like to target it, making it vulnerable to attack and less accurate in its findings. I recommend AVG anti virus, or even trend micro's house call, its an online virus scan, its very accurate, and very fast.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,502 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2005 - 10:49 AM

Well trend micro's housecall should not be considered a replacement as its only an online scanner and you do need real-time protection. Go with avg free..its free and very good.

#5 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2005 - 11:15 AM

True, thank you for stating that. That is why i said AVG also, its good for realtime. Housecall is good for when you know you arent infected too terribly bad.

#6 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2005 - 02:37 PM

Well you need a "real time" or (resident antivirus) in place. The online ones such as TrendMicro and Panda's are what to go to if you feel there is something going on, and nothing is found by your resident antivirus.

That is the next step usually.

Or in some other cases, there could be an intruder that disables you antivirus or the
virus does not allow you to complete a scan or even install an antivirus (if you have not installed one yet.)

Then at least the online ones are available.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users