Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS Visual Basic Express 2010 - VCREDIST.EXE

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jnk1296

jnk1296

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:14 PM

I've been pulling my hair out trying to get this to work. I've tried two different programs, Halo 2 for Pc, and MS Visual Basic Express 2010. They both only get to "VCREDIST.EXE" Then error out with this exact message (Albeit the Processor architecture may be different).

Posted Image

Now i'm not entirely sure which version i'm dealing with here, but i used the C++ 2008 version for generating the above error (Which AGAIN is IDENTICAL to the errors i've been receiveing). Then i looked and saw that i already had Visual C++ 2008 redist. installed, so i am wondering...

If i already have the redist installed, will i receive this error? AND... if i remove it, will i be able to install it again?

Edited by hamluis, 29 January 2011 - 09:45 AM.
Moved to Win 7 from All Other Applications.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:07 PM

FWIW, http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2005/11/10/491653.aspx

Louis

#3 jnk1296

jnk1296
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:48 PM

Okay, well, it didn't exactly apply to .NET Framework 4, BUT it did give me the idea to see if i really had .NET 4 installed. All i had installed was the Client base, so i installed the complete version. And then i tried Visual Basic again. At first it acted as though the VC 9.0 Runtime installed successfully, then it hit me right in the face:

Posted Image

Why can't Microsoft make anything easy for me?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,559 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:41 PM

I don't know what you have done...but I just downloaded this program and installed it on this system (running XP with NET 3.5, SP1 and NET 4.0 installed).

http://www.microsoft.com/express/downloads/#2010-Visual-Basic

The problem is not Microsoft or its products.

Louis

#5 jnk1296

jnk1296
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:33 AM

The problem is not Microsoft or its products.

Louis

I know... It's just that this thing has been giving me issue after issue after issue. I know it's something with my OS, because i managed to install this without hitch in an XP virtual Machine, but i wish i could make this work! Is there anything i can do to fix this? Because now i'm starting to contemplate just wiping the whole thing and starting over! :smash:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,559 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:42 AM

Well...my uneducated guess...is that it's a problem with MS.NET and I would uninstall versions that are not native ot your O/S, using the tool at http://cid-27e6a35d1a492af7.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Blog_Tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip .

I would then download/install both the 3.5, SP1 and 4.0 versions, if neither is native to the O/S...and then try the install.

Louis

I will move this to the Win 7 forum, where I think it belongs.

Edited by hamluis, 29 January 2011 - 09:44 AM.

#7 jnk1296

jnk1296
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:26 AM

Ok. I ran the tool, and downloaded the appropriate installers for the frameworks. .NET 4 installed without problem, but the installer for .NET 3.5 SP1 wouldn't even open! do you think this will cause any issues?

Whoops! Hang on, i think i see a comma between 3.5 and SP1! Lets see if THATS the problem!

Edited by jnk1296, 29 January 2011 - 10:28 AM.

#8 jnk1296

jnk1296
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:45 AM

And so my problems continue. I attempted to run the 3.5 installer, and it just tells me this:

Posted Image

funny thing is, if i go to Turn Windows features on or off, the box that normally has those options is blank!

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,559 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:53 PM

Well...to be honest, you should not need 3.5, SP1 since 4.0 is installed with Win 7. There should be no need for an earlier version.

Which may mean that your Win 7 install either has files missing or damaged...I don't know, it's hard to address problems that I cannot duplicate.

Louis

FWIW: I just downloaded the same package and it is currently installing with no problems on my Win 7 install on the same system I used yesterday to install it on my XP install. The package contains a host of programs, including NET Framework 4, which a user needs to run/utilize it.

Edited by hamluis, 29 January 2011 - 02:28 PM.

#10 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:00 PM

This is old, but read it and see what may be keeping the installation from going through.
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2005/02/01/364375.aspx

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#11 jnk1296

jnk1296
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:37 PM

i read that article yesterday. I never thought i would say this, but UNFORTUNATELY malware isn't the cause of my problem! lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users