Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop cannot connect to internet

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Twinbird

Twinbird

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:29 PM

Sony Vaio Laptop (model number VPCF136FX) will not connect to internet. There does not appear to be any driver issues. I can see the wireless networks, but cannot connect to them. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:29 AM

Hi :welcome: to Bleepingcomputer.com!

Are there any error messages that come up when you try to connect? What exactly happens when you try to connect?
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 Twinbird

Twinbird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:40 PM

Thanks for the reply. I am using Windows 7 x65 Home Premium, by the way. When I try to troubleshoot the problem using Windows Network Diagnostics, Windows lists "The Diagnostics Policy Service is not running" under Problems found. The troubleshooter cannot resolve this. Diagnostic Policy Service is set to startup automatically and to log on as a local service. However, there is nothing listed for it under status and when I try to start it manually I get the following error:

Windows could not start the Diagnostic Policy Service service on Local Computer.
Error 5: Access is denied.

I have no idea how to get it to work. I've searched the internet and nothing seems to work. I think there may have been malware on it that damaged some system files/ registry keys and the only way to fix this would be a reinstall. Hopefully you can provide some other suggestions though.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:25 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943996

For the "Diagnostic Policy Service" service, the issue may occur when the account Trustedinstaller is missing the permissions for the key below:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DPS\Parameters
permission needed: Full Control, Read

Posted Image

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 Twinbird

Twinbird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 06:31 PM

Thanks for the reply, Broni. I went to view the permissions for Parameters, there is no TrustedInstaller account. The other ones in the image you posted are there. There is an account called "CREATOR OWNER" which has special permission. There is also another account called "Users (VPCF136-VAIO/Users)" so I gave this full control and read (which were unchecked before).

I wen't back to services and set the Diagnostic Policy Service to automatic, but I couldn't start the service, i still get the Access Denied message.

Edited by Twinbird, 29 January 2011 - 06:35 PM.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 06:58 PM

TrustedInstaller is a crucial Windows service.

HERE is a fix for Vista.
It may work on Windows 7, but make sure, you create new restore point before proceeding.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#7 Twinbird

Twinbird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 07:02 PM

Alright thanks, I'll try it and let you know how it goes.
I tried the "fix" and it didn't help. I think malware must have caused some damaged I can't fix.

Edited by Twinbird, 29 January 2011 - 07:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users