Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer locks up upon login on XP and Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ymmot22

Ymmot22

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:16 PM

Hello, I have quite a serious problem. My computer locks up, normally upon login, on both XP and Ubuntu. Typically I'll start up, log into Windows, wait 5-10 seconds, then it will freeze, sometimes accompanied by 2 beeps. Sometimes, by switching the RAM slots around, I can make it last 30 minutes to an hour before it freezes.

Things I've tried-
-Buying a new stick of RAM- Worked for a little while, then froze up again.
-Putting in both the old and new stick of RAM in (4GB in all)- Again, worked for a while before freezing up. I previously was running on only 2GB, but I could play demanding games like Starcraft 2 just fine.
-Switching the RAM slots around- All of the RAM slots have worked at some point, then failed. I don't have one slot that always is guaranteed to work, or one that is always guaranteed to fail.
-Running memtest86- Ran it for 36 hours with no errors.

So I'm assuming it's a problem with my RAM slots. I have a Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H motherboard, and I can't find much info about it online, nor can I find anyone who is having these same problems. I would be glad to find more info, just ask in the thread. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:13 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Whats the make/model of the system?
Since it locks in both Windows and Ubuntu you have eliminated the OS.

Im thinking hard drive. Pop the case & see what brand it is then run the mfgrs hard drive diagnostics

You might want to backup your stuff asap just in case
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:19 PM

Look in the Event Viewer to see what errors are appearing at the time that this is happening. Each error will have a date and time. Look for the errors that are repeated the most. If you double click on the error a box will open with a description of the error and the event ID. Please post the ID.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:28 PM

In addition, please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users