Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cisco 2610

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Eric ~ Computer Guy

Eric ~ Computer Guy

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:53 AM

I'm reposting my question since the last post was thrown off track.

Basically, I have a Cisco 2610 router with no modular cards installed. It only has the Ethernet, Console, and Aux ports. I want to be able to add it to my current network, but I'm not sure if I can use the AUX as a WAN/Uplink port and then use the Ethernet to connect to a Switch.

Before I get bombarded with the "Do you know what this is for?" questions, Yes, I know what a Cisco 2610 is for, and I'm Network+ certified. My question is specific to Cisco Routers only - not the methods used in networking.

All I'm asking is this - Can I use the AUX port as a WAN/Uplink port? If not, which modular card do I need to give this thing simply one additional Ethernet port? I don't need it to be CSU/DSU or T1 enabled, as there is already a central router in place providing my network with NAT and and internet connection. I simply need it to be connected to a port on my current router and in turn provide an additional subnet to another switch that will be connected to the other port to isolate a network segment.

Any information helping me will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Eric ~ Computer Guy, 28 January 2011 - 10:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:38 PM

I only have limited knowledge of some Cisco products so take this for what it is worth.

From Cisco:
•EIA/TIA-232 (RJ-45) console port for local system access by using a console terminal

•EIA/TIA-232 (RJ-45) auxiliary port for remote system access or dial backup by using a modem

So no the AUX is unusable for an alternate WAN port.

The ethernet port you can use for a output to your LAN.

Typically the add-in modules add the desired input versus output required to operate the router. So If you have two empty module slots you would add one module which would be your WAN of which they offer numerous options. The second slot would contain your LAN interface which could be ethernet, fiber uplink, or many others.

You will have to determine what WAN input you are using to get the correct module to make the router operational.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 Eric ~ Computer Guy

Eric ~ Computer Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:48 AM

Thank you very much! That's what I needed to know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users