Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What can Server do for us?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 purge11

purge11

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:36 AM

Hello,

We are a small school with 80 students. We are looking into getting a server, be it windows or another platform, but I am wondering what benefits apart from the server being a file server can offer the school. We would like to look into the server allowing access to accounts from another location. Perhaps a good quality machine, be it dual core, with 250 gb drives with raid 10 and intel cpu, with backup exec. I was told windows server 2008 standard would be great, but what things can it offer our school?

Plus what problems or things should we look out for when accquiring a server?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:17 PM

Server in and of itself can do all of theings you mentioned and then some. Of course it will do file storage, allow remote access to the network, and provide a measure of control to who can do what on the network. You could also host your own public web site if you wanted or do a intranet one (just for the school) to post calender of events, lunch menus, sporting events ,and whatever else you wanted. You could serve applications that many of the staff and teachers use from a central location so data is automatically on the server (think grading software, progress notes, ect.) Plus with some of the numerous server software available like SQL, Exchange, Sharepoint, and other you can do lots more. That doesn't even begin to touch on the third party software abilities. so you see it isn't what server can do for you it is how do you want to use it.

The downside to running a server/client enviroment is added costs for server level antivirus, possibly upgrading your internet bandwidth, added cost of training/hiring IT staff to maintain and fix issues as they arise, and of course the intial cost can be a little shocking for some. Also without knowing how old your school is and what kind of network, if any, you have in place there may be signifigant upgrades required to the infrastructure on site as well.

My advice if you are seriously in the market to do this is find a few vendors that have or still work with other school environments. Give them some ideas of what you would want and tell them to fill in with some alternate pricing for other options that they have performed for other schools and how these would benefit your school.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:33 PM

And to plus one him, I'll tell you. Don't go for a 2U rack configuration. You're too small to need that kind of stuff. And besides, on small networks, rack servers don't make very much sense when it comes to replacing parts, checking inside components and such. I'd recommend you get a Dell PowerEdge T110, T310, T410, T610, or T710, depending on your needs for management, raid configuration, failover, and cohesive servers running in replication clusters. But you are too small to even need replication in my opinion. I myself am getting a PowerEdge T110 very soon to add to my home network to replace my venerable workstation of four and a half years. Good luck, and I'll be looking out for anything I find. I'll post back here if I find something that might help you.

Regards,
Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users