Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Universal AHCI Driver for windows XP SP3

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CHansohn

CHansohn

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:16 AM

is there a universal AHCI driver for windows XP that will work well enough for it to boot then install the correct one? I work at a university that has just switched to windows 7 but the software I need for one of my classes is not yet compatible. so I made a windows XP esata drive that I boot off of. the problem is that there are many different models of Dell computers here and it would seem that one version of the driver only works for that one model dell. so I want to know if there is a universal one that will work long enough for the system to boot?

CPU = Intel i7 950
Motherboard = Asus P6X58D
RAM = Corsair XMS3 DDR3 6X 2GB
Power Supply = Corsair AX1200W
Graphics Card = GTX 580 2-way SLI

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:38 AM

Have you tried using the Compatibility Mode?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,124 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:52 AM

No such, from what I see (although I don't claim to have done an exhaustive search).

It appears that Intel has AHCI drivers and certain versions of Windows do also...Worth Reading, IMO

Louis

#4 CHansohn

CHansohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:54 AM

I have tried compatibility mode but the main issue is the campus is using 64 bit windows 7 and the program will not even install unless its 32 bit and our tech desk will not supply my class with 32 bit windows 7.

CPU = Intel i7 950

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:01 AM

I have tried compatibility mode but the main issue is the campus is using 64 bit windows 7 and the program will not even install unless its 32 bit and our tech desk will not supply my class with 32 bit windows 7.

That certainly would have been worth knowing. :whistle:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 CHansohn

CHansohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:08 AM

sorry. I guess I should add I tried XP mode but the program needs the graphics card and VM's aren't able to use the graphics card yet.

CPU = Intel i7 950

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users