Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB activity freezes Laptop

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dflahe

dflahe

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:57 AM

hi, guys..new here..also a` new issue showed 2 days ago..Plugged in PCI card 6 way readr, froze up. Plugged in USB laptop light, freezes. Needs power off manually, then restarts fine. Last thing I added was AVG Dupe File Finder off CNET. Tried System restore to the day b4 that, did Disk Check, defrag, disk cleanup..I still have the removed dupe files in wastebasket. Toshiba Satellite A75-S1253, 1G Ram, 56G hard drive. Should I restore those dupe files??

Thanx.....Dana

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:04 AM

Do you have other USB devices plugged in?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 dflahe

dflahe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:27 AM

No, just when I put the card in the card slot, then when I plugged the little USB snake light in, each at diffeerent times. This morning, i powered up, then pushed in the PCI card, all worked OK until I took out the snake light, it froze, totally..

Thanx..dana

I didn't answer you , did I ,,,no other USB devices....Dana

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:34 AM

Ok, I missed this the first time I read your first post. What are you referring to as a PCI card?

Are you calling a USB hub which plugs into a USB port a PCI card?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dflahe

dflahe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:01 PM

No, it's a 6 in 1 photo card reader by San Disk . It's worked fine for a number of years No hubs or anything like that. Dana

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:28 PM

A USB hub is a device that expands a single USB port into several so that there are more ports available to connect devices to a host system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_hub

What is the model of this SanDisk

#7 dflahe

dflahe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:00 PM

Hi..it's model SDAD-67. Thanx..Dana

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:16 PM

Have you tried the port without the card reader installed?

#9 dflahe

dflahe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:00 PM

I'll try it...thanx again....Dana

#10 dflahe

dflahe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:57 PM

well, so far, so good...I've taken the light in and out w/o the reader, and no issues so far...I started thinking too, that maybe static was involved. I remember getting up to go to the drawer to get both reader and light, both times in bare feet, on a rug, sitting down on a fabric couch.We have forced hot air heat, and I'm in Boston, so it's dry air.......I got a snap last week from doing this....we'l;l see..thanx again for the help...Dana

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:34 PM

The threshold for feeling pain from an electrostatic shock is about 3000V (Volts). A 10V electrostatic discharge is enough to kill integrated circuits. Walking across a carpet as you described can produce around 30,000V. Beginning to see the picture? :whistle:

You should discharge yourself before handling any electronics where the components are touchable, or where the case can conduct voltage to the components. You can do this by touching a grounded surface.

And yes, there will be a test later. :hysterical:

I hope this solves your problem. I'm sorry that it looks like your card reader is damaged, but at least now you know what has been causing this problem. :thumbup2:

#12 dflahe

dflahe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:52 PM

Thanx Again for the help...Dana

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users